Coolest dive treasure. What's yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. A BIG diamond ring. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to keep it, because I was paid big $ to find it.
2. False teeth...again, paid to look for them.
3. Keys...lots of them. Again, paid to look for them.
4. Also paid to recover...fishing pole worth less than I was paid to retrieve it, someone's "lucky" net worth $15 but they paid me $75 to get it...the list goes on but its been so long that I forgot most of them.

What did I find that I kept? Not much.

I found a motorcyle under a train bridge.

I then made the mistake of calling the police immediately rather than after taking some basic preservation steps. They agreed it was most likely stolen and wanted to impound it immediately and would not let me do anything to drain it/preserve it, etc. Well meaning but rather short sighted.

So of course I got a call about 4 months later saying the owner had been located but no longer wanted it and they offerred it to me. After 4 months the owner did not want it as it was a rusted piece of scrap iron. I declined to accept it for the same reason and suggested they just haul it to the scrap yard themselves.

I also found a very well preserved trade hatchet near the same bridge that had apparently fallen off either a steam boat or the landing that used to be there in the early 1800's.

I have a nice collection of watches, rings, anchors and fishing poles and finding at least one of the three is a common weekend occurrence. There are some benefts to freshwater diving.

I also found a vial of what appeared to be cocaine under another bridge. It had been submerged for a very short time (less than a week I suspect) and had probably been thrown over just prior to a traffic stop. I collected it very carefully, stored it wet in a baggy and took it to the local police station. The desk sargent on duty decided it was useless as there would be no fingerprints on something that had been submerged. This was an incorrect assumption as in some circumstances and with proper technique, usable prints can be obtained after as much as a year under water. I did not argue the point much with him as it was apparent that he was not interested in me, my past employment history or my criminology degree.

He then walked off and left me with the suspected coke. I had to get his attention again and suggest to him that prints or not, it may still be a controlled substance and ask if he wanted me to keep it, or give it to him. He was not the brightest officer I ever met.

"I also found a vial of what appeared to be cocaine under another bridge. It had been submerged for a very short time (less than a week I suspect) and had probably been thrown over just prior to a traffic stop. I collected it very carefully, stored it wet in a baggy and took it to the local police station. The desk sargent on duty decided it was useless as there would be no fingerprints on something that had been submerged. This was an incorrect assumption as in some circumstances and with proper technique, usable prints can be obtained after as much as a year under water. I did not argue the point much with him as it was apparent that he was not interested in me, my past employment history or my criminology degree.

He then walked off and left me with the suspected coke. I had to get his attention again and suggest to him that prints or not, it may still be a controlled substance and ask if he wanted me to keep it, or give it to him. He was not the brightest officer I ever met.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Thats why he was workin the desk

...I guess the coolest thing would be my antique Dr. Pepper bottle.

(I did not find the cat on the bottom.)

nalfein:
Ford Explorer - Eddie Bauer Edition
Atonomy River, Peterborough, Ontario

Keys in the ignition.... damn thing wouldn't start though.... piece of spam Ford!!

Choke it, fool, choke it!

A 2.5 foot tall, 70 pound concrete Mogwai. I can't find the picture right now...

The pearls in an oyster were pretty cool, too!

PhotoTJ,

Thats a mighty evil looking cat you got there, you wanna watch that one, looks like its planning something!

Ed.

my wife and i own a piece of property on the shenedoah river near luray va.
there is a nice set of rapids with 8'ft holes on either side.
there are several liveries near by that rent canoes and kayaks for people to float the river for the day or weekend.

you can not imagine the stuff we have found over the years by diving and snorkling the river.
if someone should flip their "vessel" while shooting the white water anything not strapped down and does not float would later become treasure.

we have a tree where we hang our finds called the treasure tree.
you won't believe the fishing poles,tackle boxes, lures, needle nose pliers, hammers, sunglasses, home made anchors and sandals that hang on the tree.

my fantasy is to see a canoe coming down the river with no one aboard.

*About a "Gazillion" Lures
*A 17 foot "Willie's" Drift Boat,
*A Canoe,
*Many Anchors (For Drift Boats,)
*Quite a few fishing polls,

And my favorite... In 1993 I found some guy's wallet at the bottom of a lake here in the Cascade Mountains. His Drivers license expired in 1973, and when I called him and told him that I had found his wallet... he didn't believe me at first. Once I told him of the lake and told him what his Drivers license Number was, he made a special trip to my house to pick it up! (Kinda Neat!)

Donnie

Donnie:
*About a "Gazillion" Lures
*A 17 foot "Willie's" Drift Boat,
*A Canoe,
*Many Anchors (For Drift Boats,)
*Quite a few fishing polls,

And my favorite... In 1993 I found some guy's wallet at the bottom of a lake here in the Cascade Mountains. His Drivers license expired in 1973, and when I called him and told him that I had found his wallet... he didn't believe me at first. Once I told him of the lake and told him what his Drivers license Number was, he made a special trip to my house to pick it up! (Kinda Neat!)

Donnie

Thats funny about the wallet.........How did you get his phone number?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom