Copyright issues - Split from Galapagos Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grover48

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cave Diver:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The off topic conversation over copyright issues have been split off from the Galapagos Fatality accident discussion.

ScubBoards policy is that we will edit or remove content at the request of the copyright holder. Aside from that, we are not the copyright police.

This is a report I received from my brother. Neither one of us were there on the boat. My brother was in the Galapagos on another boat when this occurred. He sent the article. There is a Byline after the title.

Galapagos Scuba Diving Fatality - February 12, 2010 - Eloise Gale
Written February 14, 2010 by John Bisnar

The first real dive of a scuba diving adventure for 14 divers aboard the Galapagos Aggressor II ended in the death of Eloise Gale, a 23-year-old kindergarten teacher from Galveston, Texas and New York.

Due to the numerous requests for more information about what happened and how Eloise died, the following account is provided. First, my deepest condolences to Eloise's family and friends. I have no words that will alleviate your pain or give you back what you have lost. Eloise will, however, live in our hearts and memories. But for a twist of fate, both my wife, Kimberly and I could have been with Eloise today.

<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not write the article.

I was not there.

I copied and pasted it.

The author's byline is under the title.

I'm not if this is legal, I'm hoping it's not. What people write is their property and I would think the entire content simply cannot be legally copied.

Original work is cited, and the original location doesn't have ads or anything (ie we aren't depriving anyone of revenue). Reprint has value in order to keep the report and the comments together. Seems fine to me.

Well, then I hope someone asked permission before reproducing the author's work here in full.
Really? Everything isnt meant, nor intended to be owned. Even if the author didnt want his article to be reprinted, I dont think it should matter, especially when the information benefits the community and could possibly save another persons life.

While I respect your impulse, a search for "Galapagos" and the deceased's name yields 10 sites, I fear it's too late.

I don't think that reproduction with proper attribution poses any problem, if nothing else it could be viewed as "news."

I'm not if this is legal, I'm hoping it's not. What people write is their property and I would think the entire content simply cannot be legally copied.

you should be thankful that someone found and shared this - your note seems intended purely for provokation and to start a controversy.

you should be thankful that someone found and shared this - your note seems intended purely for provokation and to start a controversy.

Well, the law says that the writer maintains ownership and that it is a copyright violation to reproduce it without permission. ScubaBoard is responsible to take it down if the owner complains, or they become liable for the violation. Whoever posted the material is responsible from the time they posted it.

It is my view, and I think the view of at least some others as well that it is unethical to post a substantial article written and published by someone else without permission, especially when a link to that material can be provided without violating the author's rights. It is marginally ethical for ScubaBoard to leave these posts up. It would be more ethical to discourage copyright violation by posters and encourage the posting of links to such materials if permission for reproduction has not been acquired. Deleting articles when the author complains follows the letter of the law, but deleting them as soon as you know they are there is closer to the spirit.

Back
Top Bottom