Coral Bleaching Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's fantastic program! The problem for me personally, is I only teach scuba part time. I don't tend to have a consistent group of divers going out enough to collect data. You need to train divers to collect the data. Probably one of the reasons the data for Shark Fin is from only 2009 on the website above.

Yes, I agree, but I quickly discovered some flaws in the program that decrease the programs effectiveness.

First of all, when I tried to order a CoralWatch dive kit, I thought the price was reasonable, $2.50 AUD. Then, during check out, they tacked on around $37 AUD for shipping! This logistical situation that results in high shipping costs indirectly discourages participation. Better would be to have a local distributor in Thailand and ship very cheaply.

Second, the CoralWatch database drop down menu only provides the "Reef Name" field from the reporting page. This drop down menu should automatically append "Reference Region" (currently not a database field) and Country. (Of course you can "bypass" this problem by manually appending the region/country information, but the core data management/presentation problem remains).

So, for example, the current entry

Koh Sak East

Should be visible/selectable as:

Koh Sak East, Pattaya, Thailand

Although the details mentioned above might seem petty or trivial, my experience with these types of organizations is that "the details" and program execution are very critical to success.

I really like the idea behind Project Aware and CoralWatch, but both their data reporting system and shipping/logistic system are weaknesses in their ability to execute, based on my interaction with the web site.

In conclusion, I was going to buy an CoralWatch kit and take it with me on my next coral dive; but when the very high shipping charge popped up, my motivation to participate decreased dramatically.

PM, I have all the stuff. Happy to do this on a dive. It is great concept for sure. You need repeat dives at the same transects over time to monitor results. This program is making an effort to centralize data. I believe there other organizations doing similar things as well.

Update:

I also noticed another flaw (at least in my view) in Project Aware.

This link, Financials: Organizational Documents states directly:

Project AWARE's financial statements for all global offices are reviewed by an independent auditing firm. To view full audited financial information please see:

(with links to annual reports in PDF format)

However, the 2009 annual report has no financial information. This is quite odd. The 2008 annual report does have financial information (however, even the 2008 financial disclosure information is incomplete and not to auditing standards for a non-profit).
Closing note: From one perspective, Project Aware seems like a great idea. However, when I do my own due-diligence on their web site, data entry and reporting, and annual financial reports, a number of key questions have surfaced that call into question their business model. (I am not judging good-or-bad, useful or not, just saying they did not "pass" my initial due diligence as a non-profit entity and leave a number of unanswered questions about their business practices and data management expertise).

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, but I quickly discovered some flaws in the program that decrease the programs effectiveness.

First of all, when I tried to order a CoralWatch dive kit, I thought the price was reasonable, $2.50 AUD. Then, during check out, they tacked on around $37 AUD for shipping! This logistical situation that results in high shipping costs indirectly discourages participation. Better would be to have a local distributor in Thailand and ship very cheaply.

Second, the CoralWatch database drop down menu only provides the "Reef Name" field from the reporting page. This drop down menu should automatically append "Reference Region" (currently not a database field) and Country. (Of course you can "bypass" this problem by manually appending the region/country information, but the core data management/presentation problem remains).

So, for example, the current entry

Should be visible/selectable as:

Although the details mentioned above might seem petty or trivial, my experience with these types of organizations is that "the details" and program execution are very critical to success.

I really like the idea behind Project Aware and CoralWatch, but both their data reporting system and shipping/logistic system are weaknesses in their ability to execute, based on my interaction with the web site.

In conclusion, I was going to buy an CoralWatch kit and take it with me on my next coral dive; but when the very high shipping charge popped up, my motivation to participate decreased dramatically.

I see you mention here Koh Sak East, I must admit now I have not dived there for some months, but for a long period of time, the main flaw there was nothing to do with sea temperatures, it was the sea walker and snorkel/dive boats that were permanently moored there and had daily sppedboats full of customers brought from Pattaya that were taken on organised trips to walk on the seabed/coral. In my mind this has done far more damage to the marine ecosystem in the area over the years, than have the rising sea temperatures.
But people are making money, so who gives a F###.

Sad for sure, but rising sea temps is an even bigger threat globally and in our region. Programs like CoralWatch are designed to educate divers and the general public and may help reduce the trashing by coral 'walkers'. Problem is it mostly interest the faithful already.

Surface water temperature dropped to a more 'normal' seasonal temperature of 29C around Koh Tao yesterday.

Last week at Chumpon Pinnacle at 37 meters it was still 31C!

Last edited:
Thailand is not the only area. Sri Lanka is having serious bleaching right now. Water temperature of 33C a week ago. Maldives is also reporting severe bleaching. Hoping we dont have as much coral mortality as 1998. Most reefs still have not recovered fully from that.

Back
Top Bottom