Coral Bleaching Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Temps have been finally dropping :) Khram last weekend 30c.

Same here. Recorded some 30 degree readungs on-and-off, on the Khram around 2 weeks ago. Looking forward to 29, hopefully soon.

There were a couple of biologists doing a tour of all the dive shops in Pattaya asking questions about bleaching and doing a survey. Talking to them, we seem to have got off quite lightly.......aprently Aceh in Indo has 90% bleaching :(

I continue to find the information clearinghouse role that NOAA serves very useful as a way to keep up with reports of surveys and research. Here's a recent NOAA article about this year's bleaching event. And according to this updated coral bleaching forecast map, things are still looking bad in areas that haven't fully felt the impact yet--areas that include the Red Sea, Arabian Gulf, Caribbean and the tropical Pacific islands.

Thanks for the links they really give a good overview. It does look as though things are easing up in Pattaya. Sad to see the projections.Getting news from divers around Thailand was the original intent of this thread to see the extent of damage and seeing how quickly things return to normal. A common concern for all divers. Hopefully, good news to come over the winter.

I recorded 31 on the Khram this weekend :( I was stunned at the amount of bleaching I saw on the corral dive I did, can't remember which site it was as it was a few days ago now. I was also surprised at how few larger fish were on the Khram as well.

Tons of Bat Fish were seen on the Khraam last Sunday.

With the fantastic vis it was hard to tell :) They looked big though compared to what you see at many of the coral sites in number and quantity.

Back
Top Bottom