Coral Bleaching Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm out diving most days around Shark Point and Phi Phi, I can't tell you just how happy I am to see large areas of coral and anemones that are recovering! Yes, table corals and staghorns are gone, but they are the fastest to grow back. It was eery to see all those white anemones on Anemone Reef, but now most of them have their colour back!

Just a pity the coral cant recover from the effects of boat anchors and sea walkers etc as readilly as it seems to do from the bleaching.
Did my first dive in Pattaya yesterday for some months and some of the things I saw were nothing short of disgracefull.

Just a pity the coral cant recover from the effects of boat anchors and sea walkers etc as readilly as it seems to do from the bleaching.
Did my first dive in Pattaya yesterday for some months and some of the things I saw were nothing short of disgracefull.

What are "sea walkers?"

To get this thread back on track again, coral bleaching on Chaweng Beach has greatly improved and I would say that maybe only 10% is now affected in contrast to 40% a few months ago!

Thanks Limbo. Excellent to hear things are getting back to 'normal' on Samui.

So, do the bleached corals return to color?
I read that is is actually a state of dormancy they gointo because the heat causes the algae that live in it to produce toxins. But if it stays too hot, the corals starve to death and die.
We have it pretty bad here in the Persian Gulf.

Back
Top Bottom