Coral bleaching?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newgentry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I searched around before I posted this, there doesn't appear to have been any significant discussion about this in quite awhile that I could find. Anyway, I was in Coz for a week in May, and for the first time ever I noticed coral bleaching, or at least what appears to be coral bleaching to me, I will freely admit that I'm not close to being an expert on it. First time ever for me, that said it may have been around since I started diving back 12 years ago and I just never noticed it. But I did this time, a couple of pictures are attached. It was very, very sparse so it doesn't appear to be a really bad problem but I was wondering if those who have more experience than I do on Cozumel could comment on what they've seen recently and if it appears to be more significant now than years past?
coral bleaching.jpg
coral bleaching2.jpg

Do you happen to remember at which sites these pictures were taken? This does appear to be bleaching on the lace coral. On the sponge it could be bleaching or a sponge that is dying from other causes. very sad to see, but thank you for sharing.

Unfortunately, the world's reef ecosystems systems are changing and they are changing for the worse. They have always been changing but not to such an extent in such a short period of time. It is global. No matter where you go, even to the world's most spectacular destinations you'll run into locals who say, "Ya should have seen it 10 - 15 - 20 years ago". I remember what the FL Keys looked like 20 years ago and when I visited some sites again 20 years later they were all dead. Be glad you diving today diving and seeing what you can because I have a feeling divers 25 years from now are not going to be seeing very much.

Do you happen to remember at which sites these pictures were taken? This does appear to be bleaching on the lace coral. On the sponge it could be bleaching or a sponge that is dying from other causes. very sad to see, but thank you for sharing.

I'm fairly certain these were taken at Columbia Shallow. The lace coral seemed to be more affected by it than anything else I saw. As noted, though, it wasn't like these white patches were everywhere, actually they were pretty few and far between. I'm coming back in August and I'll see if I can tell if its getting worse. You're on those reefs a lot more than I am, of course, what have you noticed on this? Any increase or is this normal?

You would expect coral bleaching to be more wide spread in a specific area, rather than effecting just a coral here and there.

It could be necrosis from a coral disease or it could be something is preying on the coral. Like red bugs or flat worms or nudibranchs... pests you would be hard pressed to see on a dive with the naked eye.

I'm fairly certain these were taken at Columbia Shallow. The lace coral seemed to be more affected by it than anything else I saw. As noted, though, it wasn't like these white patches were everywhere, actually they were pretty few and far between. I'm coming back in August and I'll see if I can tell if its getting worse. You're on those reefs a lot more than I am, of course, what have you noticed on this? Any increase or is this normal?

Well unfortunately due to an accident (non diving) around Christmas 2016 I’ve not been in the water diving since then - 2 shoulder surgeries (on the same shoulder) in less than a year (last was just a few months ago) still rehabbing and not sure when I get to put a tank on my back. However- I see a lot of my divers photos and video and haven’t noticed it nor heard any reports of it. I know the average water temp has been getting warmer which is not a good sign. I’ll ask my crew to keep
An eye out :(

I have seen spots on lace coral like that several times. I don't have a specific memory of where, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom