Coral reef discovered off coast of Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be heading down to Khao Lak in April, I'll try and find out what I can and post it here.

Lets hope we can dive there and lets hope that it receives the protection that it deserves namely "no Thai fishing boats !!!"

how about we all pool our resources together and organise ourselves a nice little dive trip???? :)

I am up in Koh Samet,

Anthony

If you are in Samet try and dive Hin Pleung/Hin Alhambra it is an exceptional dive site at this time of year for the east coast. I have seen whaleshark and even a marlin feeding there. Its v good in the dry season (i.e now) and few people have dove it compared to the other east coast sites.

It's very likely a large flat mainly hard coral reef close to shore in fairly shallow water. This reef is not "new"; it's been there for a looong time and the local people have known from its existence a loong time too. Bottom trawlers will not work this area because of chances losing or tearing their nets on the hard corals.
Yes, it IS good news that it is a huge area and that the coral is healthy BUT I'm not all that sure yet if it will be great diving. Let's wait a little bit longer and find out exactly where it is, how deep, general visibility and if there are some nice soft coral areas or fans as well.

in a way, i am sad that this paradise was ever discovered!

i am (or at least i try my best to be) a responsible diver...

BUT..... one does know what the possibilities are when a little haven is dicovered!

I would LOVE to dive is this untainted areas, but i do worry that when these places are 'discovered', they will be ruined by irresponsible human behaviour!

PLEASE can the people in the know, do what they can to restrict 'activities' in this new area, so that we can all enjoy it at some time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom