coral safe sunscreen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Any good proven coral safe sunscreens out there? My dive shop sell Reef Safe which has the key ingredients that kill coral. I need a brand I can get in the USA.

Oxy-benzone and its cousins. SPF-30 is all you need.

I don't think adding anything in the sea water is a good idea but in such a low concentration (homeopathic I'd say) probably it has no effect on the coral. I've heard of people using dishwashing liquid on themselves so they can slide into the wetsuits easier...

I've heard of people using dishwashing liquid on themselves so they can slide into the wetsuits easier...

Also baby shampoo and hair conditioner.

Not sure what your shop is selling but the reef safe sunscreen I've been purchasing from my las is oxybenzone free:
| Reef Safe™ Oxybenzone Free Biodegradable Sunscreen SPF 30 — Tropical Seas
upload_2017-9-7_22-51-38.jpeg
This Reef safe is another brand I guess but the label has oxybenzone, my dive shop carries this stuff and knows its not reef safe. Need to get this out of dive shops

There are two main kinds of sunscreen. Mineral and chemical. Brand is irrelevant as many brands make both kinds. Chemical sunscreens can harm marine life. So you want to choose a mineral sunscreen that contains zinc or titanium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom