Coral View - Thank you!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heatheroe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We just got back from our first trip to Utila. With 16 or so shops on this tiny island it was mind blowing to try and pick one. We went with Coral View b/c they were just down the road from our house but we will definitely dive with them again WHEN we go back to Utila!! If we hadn't had such a horrible experience with our LDS here we'd be certified by now and my outlook on scuba would be better. BUT I have to give a shout out to Chris at Coral View for turning this around for me. He's the MAN!

We were going to do the OW referral but decided not to take the days out of our vacation and just opt for another Discover Scuba. I had almost chickened out until I walked in the shop that morning and saw Chris. Something about him just made me feel ok so I went through with it and I am so glad I did! Chris really took the time with me and helped me pick an integrated BC b/c of my buoyancy issues. By the second dive I was extremely comfortable and using my breath to maneuver up and down. No one had ever done that for me before. Chris was impressed as well! It was the most enjoyable dive I have ever done and I didn't want it to end. And we both were very light on the air consumption so that's very encouraging for me as well.

I am determined now to get certified and would love to return to Coral View to complete the course :D

I'm sure glad I ended up diving with Coral View earlier this year. They're my go to shop on Utila now. Oh wait ! They'll be my go to shop until they change ownership/management like the other shops I've been with but until they do, I'll be a cheerleader for them.

Re Chris....

When I told him I'd discovered proof of alien life on Earth and described what I'd seen, he calmly told me I'd found a spotted cleaner shrimp and, no, I won't be getting a Nobel Prize.

Chris didn't look at me like I was some sort of weirdo when I said I'm not all that fussed about going to the north side of the island as all the critter action is on the south and east sides. You figure more people would "get" this. A south facing wall vs a north facing one, should be simple no?

Chris identified those little fish that I was unable to. I was calling them the "spiky little (s)uckers" and when I found one to show him, he told me they were juvenile green razor fish.

After a great dive at Black Coral Wall, Chris said, " I'd dive that site as the second dive every day if I could".

Chris has a tattoo of a grey angelfish.

Reactions: Doc
If you love it :kiss2: link it! Coral View Utila PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Resort

Chris identified those little fish that I was unable to. I was calling them the "spiky little (s)uckers" and when I found one to show him, he told me they were juvenile green razor fish.

Ahh, the elusive Green Stouticus Razori

... I'm not all that fussed about going to the north side of the island as all the critter action is on the south and east sides. You figure more people would "get" this. A south facing wall vs a north facing one, should be simple no?

Brilliantly said. This is the same simple equation of weather + sunlight for Roatan, but again- math is hard.

Another vote for Coral View as the best dive op on Utila! My husband and I, who are AOW, plus our buddy, who is Rescue, had a fantastic time with them. We were there in mid-June this year, and ended up being on our own boat with our own DM for much of the week.

Others have posted about Chris, who our buddy really enjoyed when he dove with Chris in January of this year; however, we spent our week with Chris' wife, Bel. Chris teases Bel that her prescription mask makes everything seem huge, but holy moley, can that lady find the tiny stuff! She found the smallest seahorse I have ever seen (smaller than the top joint of your thumb), pipe horses, pipe fish, tiny hermit crabs that she coaxed out of tube coral---- the list goes on and on.

And if you want the big stuff like I do, she can find that for you as well. Nurse sharks that are "interactive"' as she calls them, "interactive" green moray eels, eagle rays, sting rays, turtles, tarpon, grouper, bat fish, etc. Bel listened to what we wanted out of our diving, and provided it with a great blend of safety-consciousness and lack of micro-managing. She led us to some fantastic experiences under water and above that many tourists don't encounter, such as time on some of the outer cays and the fried chicken shack on Utila that does indeed live up to its sign proclaiming it the "best damn fried chicken" you've ever had. (It is. Hands down.)

Sarah and Rich, who run the shop, are well-organized and provide excellent customer service. They helped us not only to make sure we never dove in the same spot twice unless we wanted to (although of course Bel as DM drove that train), helped us with getting taxicabs, with drying out a flooded camera, etc.

Coral View and its personnel were fantastic! I hesitate a bit to say how fantastic, because I don't want to ruin its small shop appeal by sending divers there in droves. Let's just say that we will be diving with Coral View every time we go to Utila, and I hope we see some of you there. ;0)

Feel free to PM me if you want any details.

Last edited:
sarah and rich do indeed do a great job, they are lovely people and coral view is an excellent operation.
however, anytime someone states that any dive operation is "the best dive op on utila", i think the trip report looses credibility. unless of course the reviewer has tried every dive op on the island?
its the same on tripadvisor, tons of comments from first time visitors stating "this hotel is the best on the island".
i have been diving with 8 dive shops on utila and stayed in 5 hotels, an apartment, 2 resorts, 2 rental homes and a private island. however, although i have favorites, i'm still not sure which dive op or accommodation is "the best on utila".

The message can get lost in hyperbole...we've all done it. :D
I try to say things more like great, efficient, etc. in my reviews.:eek:fftopic:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom