Corn Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things like this are what is left of adventure traveling.

That's a great story. You can't plan stuff like that.

Why did you give up and go back to the mainland?

Corn is one of the few destinations in the Caribbean where things are iffy. It's the opposite of Club Med or Cozumel.

Go for it.

It must be the island. The first time I tried to get there I flew out in Managua on a C-47 (DC-3) and we crash landed on a dirt road near Rama. That was almost 40 years ago.

It must be the island. The first time I tried to get there I flew out in Managua on a C-47 (DC-3) and we crash landed on a dirt road near Rama. That was almost 40 years ago.

Zackly what I was sayin'.

These days you can't even buy a good time like that.

... and, I ate the last mango in Paris too.:D

I gotta admit it, the whole modern concept of "adventure travel" kinda pisses me off.

Things like this are what is left of adventure traveling.

Why did you give up and go back to the mainland?

Go for it.

We went back to the mainland because of the weather. We didn't want to spend a portion of our trip on LC in the rain. It was a good decision, as we ran into people later that were on LC and they said it rained the entire time they were there.

Thanks for the response's.Glad to see people are still watching this thread.Looks like we may split the trip between BC and the mainland.Any info on Nautilus dive operations?

Little Corn Island is a tropical island paradise, far off the beaten path, unspoiled and completely unaffected by tourism. The tourism and hospitality industry is in its infancy! Here you can still get a
room for less than $10 in a family run hospedaje and buy an excellent dinner from street vendors for $1.50.

I have been there ten times. It is such a great place to get away from the hectic life and take a serious chill pill. My brother(Derek) and I started "Derek's Place" about 12 years ago. Google it and you can get some good info there. There are great places to dive on both islands and I personally think Little corn is better. In '88 a hurricane smashed up big corn, filling many of the reefs. Little corn was not nearly affected the same. Little Corn has no roads and that is accessible by foot(30 minutes max). A true paradise by all means. As others posted the side of the island where casa iguana and Derek's place are at, the wind blows all day meaning no need for a.c. or mosquitoes. A great place for adventure and relaxation all in one. If you need more info on the island or Derek's place give me a p.m.
Btw, the pic in the article about Corn Island was at Derek's place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom