Corn Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at Little Corn this last year and read a few trip reports. Also there were a couple of trip reports on Undercurrent an one that was recent if fact I think it was the feature article...I decided to pass.

I haven't been, but previously did a lot of research before deciding not to go.

It appears to be easy enough to get from Miami to Managua, however, the "rub" seems to be getting from Managua to Big Corn Island. Recently, there were 2 puddle-jumper airlines, but one is no longer flying. Reservations for the puddle-jumper are a must (at least they were a couple of months ago), and if you miss your connecting flight out of Miami (or even if it's late), you could be in Managua for an extended period of time. I forget the name of it, but there is a hotel directly across the street from the Managua airport that caters to American tourists and business travelers. I think they charge about $85 per night. Also, the last I heard, the puddle-jumper airline was charging $1 per pound for all luggage in excess of 35 pounds. That was the clincher for me, I went to Costa Rica instead.

If you want to go from Big Corn to Little Corn Island, the only way to get there is a water taxi, and the ride on the pranga can be very rough. I don't think there are many places on Little Corn that have A/C, since most of the "hotels" don't even have electricity. There is only 1 dive operator (each) for Big Corn and Little Corn, and they don't give discounts for having your own gear. From what I've heard, the diving is "fair-to-good", but not spectacular.

I also found that the hotels were less than up-front concerning the amenities they offered. Don't assume that you'll get A/C, private bathroom, hot water, fan or even full-time electricity or an indoor shower.

Thanks for this info Rainmaker. I have scrolled through a number of the threads on SB and have come up with just a bit of information and have looked at some information on various websites. I have been in touch with the company that puddle-jomps you from Managua to Big Corn and the weight is now $1.20 per pound beyond 30 pounds (and carry on at 15 pounds). The absolute max per passenger is 100 pounds. The cost IMHO is manageable (the flight is $165 USD but then you start adding on the extras IF you can get all your equipment on. As for accommodations, I would likely stay on Big Corn Island because it is "bigger" with more options and I am sure the diving would be just as good or even the same sites perhaps.

Overall, it seems like a place that I will try someday. But until then, I will keep looking anywhere possible for information. Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for the info everyone. I had checked the previous threads, but the additional info is helpful as well. I think we'll probably skip this one. We did Utila a couple of years ago, and got stuck on Roatan one night by the puddle-jumper, so I know how unreliable the small airlines can be. It was a fun night though, except that the electricity went off in the middle of the night - to the whole island, so it got a bit warm by morning. And it was on our way to Utila, so we didn't have to worry about missing our connecting flight home.

It sounds like we'll probably skip this one for now and go somewhere else. I don't see enough evidence that the diving is so much better than somewhere else to have to go through the hassles with water taxis and primitive accomodations. Tripadvisor had several reviews I found also, and I wasn't overly impressed.

Thanks for the info!

I travelled to Big Corn a couple years ago. There were daily flights from Managua via Bluefields. We didn't make it to Little Corn as the weather was rough. I will try to dig up the place we stayed at - it was pretty nice. There was a marine park at one end of the island, with a staked trail that led to the wreck of a large steamship on the edge of the reef. We were only there for a day, so I didn't get tons of exposure on the place.

Just got back from Nicaragua on the Pacific coast...called San Juan Del Sur...takes a full day to fly there from Canada...with 4 stops.

We went down there to hang out, and loved it so much that we bought 2 acres of land for 20,000 USD. The land is CHEAP.

Didnt have a chance to go scuba diving...but the surf is worldclass.

There is a dive shop in the San Juan Del Sur area...and they have a couple of top notch dive spots...such as an old Russian Shipwreck.

Out of all the places I have been to...Caymans,thailand,malaysia,bvi,roatan....I think Nicaragua was the best place I have been to...well I should say San Juan Del Sur...the quite surf town about Nicaragua. I didnt go diving...but next time!

We dove the Corn Islands in the early 1970s. It was great, but I was in my early 20s. We took out own tents and food and compressor. There was a weather station there and not much else, there was a weekly flight from Managua on a DC-3 ... nobody cared about baggage weight.

The diving was wonderful.

Oh, I tried to make a second trip a few month later, the plane had to make an emergency landing on a dirt road near Rama, that took to the wings off, we never got there. I'll bet the plane is still parked by the side of the road.

We went down there to hang out, and loved it so much that we bought 2 acres of land for 20,000 USD. The land is CHEAP.
10,000 US per acre? Damn! Hope it includes a good mine.

I spent a week at Casa Iguana with my girlfriend a couple years back. We absolutely loved it and the diving was very good. I would definitely warn that it is rustic, but that somehow made it more enjoyable. I know it may be hard to believe, but AC was totally unnecessary at Case Iguana because it was on the windward side. The hotel with AC is on the Leeward side and it was brutal over there. Definitely more pleasant at Case Iguana.

As for getting there, it wasn't terrible. You take a flight (the plane is somewhat...scary) from Managua to Blue Fields and then it continues to Big Corn. From Big Corn, you take a boat. There were some serious swells, but I don't get seasick and I rather enjoyed it. Anyhow, if you are interested in it, I would recommend it. It was beautiful and is refreshingly underdeveloped. Some very good food too (though not as much at Casa Iguana).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom