Coron and where else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trevor JC Brown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So after some research I'm set on diving in Coron, if you had a choice for a 2nd destination in a three week holiday where would it be?
I'm an experienced diver, not too fussy about seeing certain marine life just want to experience good dives.

You really need to find out the detail of flight flying out from Busuanga. I suspect the option is very limited.
1. Manila: Anilao and Puerto Galera.
There is no need to make another flight if you are leaving from Manila. No flying penalty required: maximizing your diving time.
2. Cebu:
a. The closest is Moalboal(2hrs by bus).
b. Malapascua; private transfer is expensive but public transport is available but do make a early start.
c. Bohol: the closest island(province) to Cebu.
d. Dumaguete: The ferry journey is a bit longer than going to Bohol.
e. Southern Leyte: Time consuming to get there from Cebu. But if there is direct connection between Buauanga and Tacloban then this is the place I would recommend.

Have a nice trip

You could do Pandan island and Apo reef combo also.
Of course.
There is twice a wk ferry from Coron to San Jose in Mindoro.
Apo Reef is just round the corner.
Bus to Abra de Ilog and then ferry to Batangas. I believe the ferry to Puerto Galera has stopped running for a while.

2. Cebu:
a. The closest is Moalboal(2hrs by bus).
Not quite.

Apparently there's quite a bit of diving in Mactan Island, and even north of Cebu City. I've never dove there myself, but I met the GM of El Mar Resort in Sogod when I was diving in Bohol and she was sharing that with me.

I just did Cebu on a quick getaway. 5D4N

Mactan Newtown, which is 20 min from the airport, is an easy drive (don't pay more than PHP300).

Decent hotel options (about USD50/night, double occupancy). Both are 4 star.
- Belmont
- Savoy

Note: The nearby house reefs were destroyed in a recent typhoon, so don't bother with them for another 5 years or so. The only exception to this was Sardines, which is a great dive if you haven't done a sardine ball before. It's mesmerizing and really fun.

Nalusuan and Gilutongan are marine parks and very nice dives about 1 hour by boat from Mactan New Town Pier or the Public Pier. You could easily spend a day each exploring them (3 x each).

I would then do a 2-hour overnight transfer to Moalboal for a two or three day stay. The operator I would use in Moalboal is SEAQUEST, but I am biased (they certified me in 2001) and I have used no other. I would then take an overnight van back to Cebu (2 hours) and catch a fast ferry (2 hours) to Tagbilaran and then take a 1 hour van to Alona Beach, where I would stay for a day. Again, I would use SEAQUEST/Oasis in Alona if I were to stay there. You could easily do a day of Alona Beach dive sites.

Next, I would book a boat to Balicasag (45 minutes) and dive there for at least two days. If the resort is open (in question), I would stay for a night at least, perhaps 2.

The return trip is 45 minutes from Balicasag to Alona, where I would stay for an additional day to desat by doing things either at Alona Beach or checking out what Bohol has to offer out of the water (really, a lot of fun).

Then it would be 45 minutes from Alona to Tagbilaran, and then a flight out of Tagbilaran to Manila OR a ferry from Tagbilaran to Cebu and a flight out of Cebu.

This itinerary helps to minimize travel time, maximize diving time and keeps you on the surface for desaturation while seeing a lot of stuff.

Hope this helps.

Not quite.

Apparently there's quite a bit of diving in Mactan Island, and even north of Cebu City. I've never dove there myself, but I met the GM of El Mar Resort in Sogod when I was diving in Bohol and she was sharing that with me.
There are a lot of dive resorts along the Eastern side of the Island as well as Olango Island(directly opposite).
The reasons that I did not mention it:
1. I have been there couple of times and just could not recommend those operators that I had used.
2. The good sites are quite a distance away and operator only goes there if there is demand.

Sogod Bay is in Southern Leyte and getting there from Coron will be very time consuming. The closest airport is in Tacloban and there is NO direct flight from Coron. Diving was very good but apparently suffered terribly from Odette 2 yrs ago. I am going there in Feb to have a look myself.

Camotes Island is north of Cebu City. Getting there is NOT difficult but the operator that I had used, Ocean Deep, has moved out several years ago and I am not familiar with the others.

There are a lot of dive resorts along the Eastern side of the Island as well as Olango Island(directly opposite).
The reasons that I did not mention it:
1. I have been there couple of times and just could not recommend those operators that I had used.
2. The good sites are quite a distance away and operator only goes there if there is demand.

Sogod Bay is in Southern Leyte and getting there from Coron will be very time consuming. The closest airport is in Tacloban Diving was very good but apparently suffered terribly from Odette 2 yrs ago. I am going there in Feb to have a look myself.

Camotes Island is north of Cebu City. Getting there is NOT difficult but the operator that I had used, Ocean Deep, has moved out several years ago and I am not familiar with the others.

I had a nice experience with FEEL DEEP in Cebu, but YMMV depending on your own personal style of diving.

1) I rented a boat, captain, 2 boat boys and a DM exclusively for my wife and I
2) I set our itinerary after consulting extensively with 3 local operators
3) I set our schedule (sailing times)
4) I set our menu
5) etc, etc, etc..

(this was all a birthday gift + 30 year anniversary present for my wife)

FYI: I explored two polar opposites in terms of style and cost, and opted for the first:

A) Concierge Diving basking in the attention of 5 people catering to our every whim (FEEL DEEP).
B) Cheapest possible diving with a large social group, including many singles (SIDIVE).

I went one way. Others may opt for the other way. Whatever floats your boat. I just go with what I like, is all.

What matters is the quality operators get enough business to stay open (and safe!) so we have sufficient options to pick from.

Bohol / Cebu is really struggling to recover from a catastrophic typhoon (Odette) that leveled the corals and much of the resorts in Lapu Lapu, Olango, Nasuluan, Gilutongan and so on.

Bottom Line: Cebu is accessible by air with minimal surface travel. The diving can be very cheap (as low as USD25 per), certain sites were still good within a reasonable timeframe (1 hour), we were given royal treatment and it was affordable. We did a total of 24 dives (i.e. 12 each).

Did the GM mention any specific dives north of Cebu City? I can't find anything and the website for El Mar Resort doesn't mention diving either.

Back
Top Bottom