Corporate Foreign Diving ousts Dive Palancar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a shame that large international companies can end up putting smaller local companies out of business, but that's a fact of life everywhere nowadays. In Cozumel, most everyone moved there from somewhere else anyway, so it's not as big of a deal IMO than when, say, a WalMart moves into a small USA town and out-competes the local small businesses into closing their doors.

Well, do what you can. Support the smaller ops to promote diversity and DONT stay at resorts, like Iberostar, that practice policies that drive out small ops from the marketplace.

Nice website actually..they seem to offer a lot of stuff and look very pro and successful IMHO... but when you read through this site, you will realize that the only interns that they actually offer are for only 3 weeks duration (for newly trained MSDT's), so i doubt that these will actually be selfresponsably guiding divers in cozumels marine park. these are MSDT interns, that means they become qualified to teach several PADI specialty courses...so i would suspect they are rather shadowing more experienced instructors when teaching these courses, and not guiding? (as this is what an MSDT interns should be about?) ...and also, their academy is located in riviera maya and not in cozumel..

the local dive shop dive palancar by the way is (was?) not that "small" as you suggest, I remember they had moored like 15 (!) boats or so, righjt in front of the hotel , that in fact makes a large cozumel operator and no small local fish. so, they have lost the allegro concession a few years back, now they lost the occidental grand as well, and apparently just a few months back they also lost their concession at the wyndham, after they just operated it for a few months only (sanddollar lost it before that after many years of service and was ousted by dive palancar,so it was a similar case i guess) only then THEY were the culprit).

bottomline, i would suspect that maybe its not just foreign corporate shops taking over because of greedy hotel owners as was declared in the beginning of this thread, but maybe there are some other reasons for all this?

That is an interesting sentence structure. In what language/region did it originate. Clearly not English learned in the United States. Probably not English.

Once again, your knowledge about dive business in Cozumel is almost unbelievable for someone who does not reside there.

So the walmart of diving has a location in Cozumel... I didn't see any of the locals show up at the anti walmart rally when Sams came to Cozumel, they weren't out front at the protest in support of local businesses against the big foreign operation because they were too busy shopping inside and dancing in the aisles...

Cozumel's a big island and there are a lot of dive operators, crying over one dive operator makes no sense.

What's more damaging to the local dive businesses, the one big foreign corporation that employes a few foreigners or all the tiny, shoe string ops cutting prices to the bone while they operate on a shoe string, paying locals under the table so they have no basic benefits, no safety net, no future, one incident away from disaster and making it harder on legitimate shops to turn a profit charging enough to operate above board and maintain equipment properly and pay taxes and locals above board? Prodive, big deal.:shakehead: Wake me up when they actually are effecting Cozumel negatively. One crybaby generates all this over nothing. Crying about Prodive is destroying Cozumel, please.

Spoken like a true American.

Mike said:
shakehead.gif
Wake me up when they actually are effecting Cozumel negatively. One crybaby generates all this over nothing. Crying about Prodive is destroying Cozumel, please.

Well said Mike....

What's more damaging to the local dive businesses, the one big foreign corporation that employes a few foreigners or all the tiny, shoe string ops cutting prices to the bone while they operate on a shoe string, paying locals under the table so they have no basic benefits, no safety net, no future, one incident away from disaster and making it harder on legitimate shops to turn a profit charging enough to operate above board and maintain equipment properly and pay taxes and locals above board? Prodive, big deal.:shakehead: Wake me up when they actually are effecting Cozumel negatively. One crybaby generates all this over nothing. Crying about Prodive is destroying Cozumel, please.

I thought that was sort of what they were saying about Prodive: the one big foreign corporation that employes foreigners cutting prices to the bone while they operate on a shoe string, hiring foreigners so they have no basic benefits, no safety net, no future, one incident away from disaster and making it harder on legitimate shops to turn a profit charging enough to operate above board and maintain equipment properly and pay taxes and locals above board?

Or did I get that wrong?

I thought that was sort of what they were saying about Prodive: the one big foreign corporation that employes foreigners cutting prices to the bone while they operate on a shoe string, hiring foreigners so they have no basic benefits, no safety net, no future, one incident away from disaster and making it harder on legitimate shops to turn a profit charging enough to operate above board and maintain equipment properly and pay taxes and locals above board?

Or did I get that wrong?

The dive op on Cozumel who charges the least, from all I can gather, is Dive With Martin, a long time locally owned op.

The dive op on Cozumel who charges the least, from all I can gather, is Dive With Martin, a long time locally owned op.

Who is also supposed to be all legal and paying SS, I think someone said?

That is an interesting sentence structure. In what language/region did it originate. Clearly not English learned in the United States. Probably not English.

Once again, your knowledge about dive business in Cozumel is almost unbelievable for someone who does not reside there.

Dear Awap, thats correct i am not born in the US but actually grew up in Poland and lived there for most part of my life, before immigrating to the US, now almost 2 decades ago, but what does that have to do with anything?
Since I carry a passport of the USA, I call myself " US citizen", by the way in the same way Dave from Aldora Divers previously described himself as a mexican citizen and local... lol :D

Sometimes my sentence structure gets confusing too. You should see my phone texts - not...!!

Back
Top Bottom