Cost for Instructor Rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it is a great analogy to compare OJT with the abilities that can be gained from having a breadth of experience in diving.

Sure....we can all teach an OW straight off the IDC. A few courses experience and we can get them pretty slick. Same for AOW and, to a lesser extent, rescue.

What I am talking about, is having the breadth of experience, that allows an instructor to go beyond the minimum requirements of those core courses - to add 'that something special'.

The PADI system revolves around having an easy to deliver, minimalist and basic teaching system. Any muppet could teach a 'bare bones' or 'tick the boxes' OW course. That's nothing special at all....and neither does it produce excellent entry-level divers.

Likewise, having a breadth of experience makes all the difference when teaching specialities. I was a tech diver before I took my IDC... do you think you could compare my Deep courses with a 'zero-to-hero' instructor who had 100 dives and never went below 18m unsupervised?

<HIJACK>
Question to the pro's: How about someone with a few decades of diving experience taking one of those live here a few months, bring you up to instructor courses? The seem to occur primarily in SE Asia.

<END HIJACK>

<HIJACK>
Question to the pro's: How about someone with a few decades of diving experience taking one of those live here a few months, bring you up to instructor courses? The seem to occur primarily in SE Asia.

<END HIJACK>

It doesn't take long to become an instructor. Typical IDC is 1 week. A good divemaster program should include assisting with at least 15-20 full courses at various levels, so in a busy training environment could be completed in a month or so full time. Any 1000+ dive non pro with the inclination and aptitude should be able to transition to instructor easily in that time frame.

It doesn't take long to become an instructor. Typical IDC is 1 week. A good divemaster program should include assisting with at least 15-20 full courses at various levels, so in a busy training environment could be completed in a month or so full time. Any 1000+ dive non pro with the inclination and aptitude should be able to transition to instructor easily in that time frame.

but wouldnt you miss out on the REAL training experience, long hours with zero pay, questionable living arrangments, and being beaten with a cane every time you lost a student

In my case, I had nearly 300 dives (cold and warm water, drysuit and wetsuit, fresh and salt water, strong currrents, low viz etc) before I signed up for a Divemaster course.

When I did my Instructor Course, I had, in the region of, 700 dives. Before I started my instructor course, I had acted as the dive guide/supervisor, for around 250 dives. I was also a qualified tech diver. I also had a wealth of instructional experience from my military service.

Kudos my friend :D

but wouldnt you miss out on the REAL training experience, long hours with zero pay, questionable living arrangments, and being beaten with a cane every time you lost a student

Nah! I already have all those benefits at my current job! :cool2:

Not wishing to hijack this thread DevonDiver but as I am sure you realise, if you take Padi "Master Scuba Diver" then do a DM course you could quite easily have the 60 dives required for OWSI without ever having done a dive NOT under some sort of instructor supervision.
Is this why there are so many instructors who do not teach?
T

Just to nit pick, you may start the OWSI course with only 60 logged dives, but to attend the IE you must have 100 logged dives.

I personally believe that there should be time restrictions on the entire process as well as quantity of dive restrictions. People can throw money at thier new hobby and be an instructor before they even know if its truly for them. I have been certified since 1998 and I am still on a very slow, but steady course for my instructor cert. I am in no particular hurry. I enjoy teaching in other areas and would like to move into the instructor role in the next couple of years so I can help other new divers enter the sport.

I don't believe in time restrictions. There are people who are naturally gifted and supremely capable in the water...and these people, with intensive diving for a couple of years, can easily transition to becoming instructors in a short time-frame.

However, these people are exceptional - a rarity.

What zero-to-hero courses do is take anyone to instructor status.

I'm sorry, but I have no respect for any dive pro, whose log book is primarily filled with training dives.

I agree with you, it's a rarity! I have tried to balance my diving and not just leap into an instructor role. I think that some time restrictions would slow some people's roll a little bit and make them think about what they are doing and know that its the right course for them. I dont think that everyone should wait ten years, like i have, but like most others, dont respect the zero-to-hero types.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom