Cost of Sync Cable for Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you making you own cable why don't you make you own software a well? After putting in he time and money how much does it cost you?
You make a good point that software development does have its costs. A company can certainly recoup those costs by charging directly for the software, increasing the cost of the download cable, or absorbing the cost through other business operations.

Personally, I don't use the Suunto Dive Manager software because it's clunky, it's buggy, and it clearly wasn't written as native code for my computer OS. Years ago, I also didn't like the way Suunto Customer Service would string me along when I would call up and inquire about making a version of SDM work on the Mac. They would say things like: "Stay tuned. We're working on something." Or "We're looking into that." Or "Can your computer run a Windows emulator?" It was clear that the company didn't think the Mac OS market was large enough to cater to. :idk: I was very happy to learn about MacDive.

It's not very easy to develop download software for Suunto dive computers. Essentially, the developer has to reverse-engineer everything, i.e., capture data dumps, analyze the info, and then organize/save it into his program. Suunto does not offer free and unfettered access to their API to software developers who want to write their own download/dive-logging programs. Other dive gear manufacturers have a much more open approach to permitting third-party developers to do their own work. For example, check out Reefnet's approach to third-party software development. The company makes it free and easy for software coders to write code for downloading profiles from the Sensus Ultra dive-logger.

Back
Top Bottom