Costa Rica: San Jose business trip extend into weekend.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoasterFreak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy all! I will be traveling to San Jose in June for a week on a business trip, but am considering extending it into the weekend to hopefully see some of the coast and of course do some diving. My only real travel constraint is that I can't start my weekend until Friday afternoon, and will have to be back to San Jose Airport by Sunday. Weill not consider driving myself, but would consider a bus ride back and forth if required. Fairly adventurous, especially if the diving is good. Any advice from the experts here?

What hotel are you staying at?

I stayed at the Marriott in San Jose for business and they had a dive day trip you could book that included bus transportation back and forth. This was back in February/March timeframe so I'm sure it is still available. I wasn't able to do it as my flight schedule got pushed around. Give the hotel a call and see if they have a tours desk.

I did a quick boat ride/snorkeling trip this way. Took a little over 1 hr bus ride from the hotel. Wasn't too bad. Nice air conditioned tour bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
See how much a puddle jumper to Liberia will run you. That will get you much closer to the coast. While the bus ride from San Jose to Playas del Coco is enjoyable, it took 5+ hours, and that didn't include getting to the terminal in San Jose.

Call up the Marriott or one of the other big hotels. You can do excursions with them even if not staying there. It is only a 10 min cab ride from your hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made 8 dives with Herradura Divers in March, great dive op. Herradura is a 1 hour drive from San Jose.

Good news is I got the details from Marriott about a dive excursion to Tortuga Island. Bad news is the wife just reminded me I would then be flying less than 24 hours after diving (dive Saturday afternoon, fly Sunday morning). No Bueno!

---------- Post added May 18th, 2015 at 05:31 PM ----------

Never mind.! I thought DAN recommends 24 hours, but it is actually 12! I should be fine :)

Make a point of staying well hydrated, both before and after the dive. It's easy to forget when you're traveling, and even more important if you're shortening your no-fly time. Also stay well within your no-deco limits.

Let us know how you like the diving!

I have decided to change my plans and fly in on the Saturday prior to my week. Then go diving on Sunday. Leaning towards the Marriott excursion to Tortuga Island, but still weighing my options. Thanks everyone for your advice.

I would second Herradura divers, they run a nice shop and its the closest dive spot from San Jose at about an hour away. Last year I saw what had to be the biggest devil ray (20ft+) in my life around there!

Back
Top Bottom