Could not breathe out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great question but it wasn't a regulator issue.

Ran into a similar problem doing a routine stress test recently and linked it to a physio manifestation of a mild panic attack.
Weird. That's not the Mammalian reflex: this blocks inhalation, instead you had problems exhaling.
I agree that this looks similar to a panic attack, which often brings to hypercapnia, as the panic impedes to expell properly CO2.
There is often a vicious circle: the sensation of being unable to breath triggers more panic.
When I followed my first diving course (in 1975), using mostly the ARO (closed circuit pure oxygen rebreather, pendular type) this was a very common scenario. It did take months to be trained to control the panic sensation caused by a clogged filter, which really impedes to breath, and which does not capture CO2 properly.
Using the ARO teaches the student to gain a complete control of his breathing, which is inherently coupled with a deep emotional self-control.
But being trained in this way takes several months (6, during my first diving course).
This kind of training nowadays is not readily available even in diving schools, not certainly in commercially-oriented shops.
So actually I have no simple suggestion on how to gain proper self-control, which is the only way to be sure you will not get this problem anymore.
Of course you could try to avoid the situations which trigger panic.
But this for me is not a fully satisfactory solution: bad things happens, outside of your control. You should be sure that, even in the worst situation, you will never fall to panic and loose control of your breathing.
My experience as a young, insecure student was that getting complete self control is possible, with several months of proper psycho-physical training.
I hope that someone here can contribute information on where such kind of training is available nowadays (outside of military special forces).

all January i being diving and surfing in C.R.I am 71.
my last dive (after 5 days of non diving,just surfing) i jump into water and cannot breathing,like very fast breathing.
the dive master pull me out rapidly of the water thinking was a panic attack (after 2 000 dives)
As return home ,i try to go swimming or sometimes lying in bed the same condition happen.
go to see regular doctor ,send me to a pulmonologist.
sniff test was order and the result was "paradoxical breezing"
one of my diaphragm is not going the right way!
Saw a thoracic surgeon ,one operation is possible but out of question for time be,saying all my life i was breathing this way!
in June i am going to a Pulmonary Rehabilitation center for 20 weeks to relearn to breathe.
news:
about covid and phrenic nerve.
Hope for a fast resolution :diving is out and miss it .............

This may sound like a strange question.....but did you both inhale and exhale off of your regulator several times right before striding into the drink? On my APEKS ATX200.....2nd stage, if it has been sitting clean and dry for awhile, it sometimes takes a bit of an extra "push" on my first exhale to release the purge diaphragm..
I get the same thing with my xtx 50's. That diaphragm seals pretty tight when they are dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom