Couple detained in Cozumel until chamber bill paid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I don't get what is a Primary insurance exactly- is it the Universal Health Care System ?

No. "Primary" and "secondary" generally refer to the order in which the insurance will be triggered upon someone filing a claim. If someone has both primary and secondary insurance, and the primary insurance fully pays for the claim, then the secondary insurance is not triggered. In other words, secondary insurance may cover what the primary insurance fails to cover. In the US, our healthcare insurance is primary insurance. If I suffer some misfortune that is fully covered by my healthcare insurance, then it doesn't matter whether I also have secondary insurance. However, if I suffer some misfortune that is not covered (or is only partly covered) by my healthcare insurance, then the secondary insurance may cover it (or cover the portion not paid by my primary insurance).

Here is my case

PRIMARY : public health care will cover up to 70 - 80% or 100% --- public
SECONDARY : private health care (mutuelle) will cover up to 20 - 30 % --- my work insurance + DAN ?

I still don't get why Dive Assure is named as PRIMARY insurance ?

Here is my case

SECONDARY : private health care (mutuelle) will cover up to 20 - 30 % --- my work insurance + DAN ?

DiveAssure offers itself as primary insurance to people who do not have other insurance or who do not want to bother with trying to make a claim on their other insurance and would rather look first to DiveAssure in making a claim. On the form, there is a checkbox for "Secondary" insurance that you can check if you want to let DiveAssure know that you have primary insurance.

It's a marketing claim that attracts buyers. If the injured person has other medical coverage that will pay on the incident, they will actually split the expenses with the other coverage.

It's a marketing claim that attracts buyers. If the injured person has other medical coverage that will pay on the incident, they will actually split the expenses with the other coverage.

I agree with @DandyDon , I don't think the primary vs. secondary is all that important.

DAN
  • If you have primary insurance other than DAN, then your primary insurance kicks in first, then DAN picks up the rest.
  • If you don't have primary insurance, DAN kicks in as "primary" insurance.

Dive Assure
  • If you have primary insurance other than Dive Assure, they both share the claim (equally I presume but in any event, the insurance companies will work it out).
  • If you don't have primary insurance, Dive Assure kicks in as primary insurance.
So...effectively, not much difference. Feel free to correct me if I've gotten this all wrong. Always eager to learn more!

Here is my case

Olarius - Are you located in the USA? Do you dive mostly in your home country (USA or not)?

@Dogbowl and @DandyDon , does DiveAssure (or for that matter, DAN) require you to also make a claim on your primary insurance (assuming you have primary insurance)?

I get your point overall as people in the US have been scaremongered into covering any possible contingency no matter how small in amount or how unlikely. You can't buy a $20 toaster online without getting prompted to cover it for another $3.

My philosophy is to buy insurance to cover losses I cannot comfortably sustain. I seldom buy flight insurance. I seldom buy the extended warranty on a product. I seldom buy shipping insurance. But I'm buying dive insurance because while I can't accurately determine my potential losses (could be $5k or $50k) I'm pretty sure those losses could be beyond my ability to sustain.
I agree on all points. Mark it on your calendar. :D

Olarius - Are you located in the USA? Do you dive mostly in your home country (USA or not)?
Located in Europe/France (for now mostly in my home country indeed) but I plan to travel too. Not USA but in Mexico and this will be in few years so I will have time to figure out that issues.

But I will call my insurances tomorrow- I am looking into another secondary insurance who might covert extrem sport / scuba diving / apnea / freediving etc...
and I think I will spend few hours ... I'm more concern about the primary who might cover 70 to 100 % already / my secondary would cover 20 to 30%,
other expenses would be higher cover from the secondary insurance (like Silver > Gold)

Now- if Dive Assure are not that bad ... / as they are specialized in scuba diving already I would prefer to use them ; cause I already know I will have to explain everything - what is scuba diving - to the secondary insurance seller and I am quite sure my quote won't be accurate at all or they will not know exactly what to do. And the day I will have issues it will be the same ... or worse no cover at all.

@Dogbowl and @DandyDon , does DiveAssure (or for that matter, DAN) require you to also make a claim on your primary insurance (assuming you have primary insurance)?

@Lorenzoid , I do not know. Upon re-reading it just now, it looks like what they provided me was not the actual Policy but a Description of Coverage (16 pages long). I was under the wrong impression that I was provided with the actual Policy but now I realized it was not. I'm going to try to get the actual Policy again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom