Couple of words on Pinnacle Evolution 2 drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evil_xander

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've added several photos of the suit to the gallery, you can find them here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/2679

OTOH, the suit is excellent, very rugged (cordura), but also usable with very thick undergarment (regular Evolution, without merino linining), good range of limb movement, I can touch the valves, raise my legs, do a '4' to put fins on, and etc.

Latex seals on neck and wrists work perfect, even though I have very small wrists, I found no problems with the stock size ML and the seals supplied with it. Pockets are large enough to accommodate a mask or other useful accessories.

Regarding the rubber boots, I didn't find them to be restrictive or cause problems with leg movement when doing several different types of kicks.

It comes by default with two large pockets, suspenders, bag and a hood in the package, I got the merino lined 7mm one.

I now need to get another dozen or so dives to start nitpicking if there's anything I don't like about that suit. :D

Actually, I don't like needing to stock up on lead in order to sink and keep a stop, but that's one thick undergarment there...looks like 12kg of lead and hoping to decrease as my proficiency rises.

The Evo2 was my top choice for a new drysuit, but I found the pockets too small for my tastes. But I have very large hands and tend to carry quite a lot in my pockets. I did get the same undergarment you have but have only worn it twice as it's too hot for local waters and I need to try it in cooler water.

Please let us know how you like the suit and the undergarment. I am also interested in how the hood works for you, as that is one of my choices for cold water diving.

Thanks for the early review.

I only managed to dive it yesterday (need to get new fins as well...).

At the moment, I can only say that Evolution undergarment was an overkill, as it was 22 degrees C, a nice and sunny day. Sea was at about 19 degrees C. However, the good thing is that it keep me dry, whereas all the sweat/moist went outside between the dry suit and it. I didn't feel hot underwater, but on the surface I looked like I'm about to suffer a heart attack (plus the new latex neck seal helped also), all read in the face and sweating like a pig. :D

The hood is also very nice, perfect fit and as little water entered as possible, felt really warm and cozy in it. I think my next wet suit will be also something merino lined, as my current one is slowly passing away.

I'll have more feedback as I hope to get more dives in it next weekend, not sure I'll manage to go diving during the week, who knows...

On the pockets thing, I have very small hands, so they are rather fine, plus if a spare mask can fit them, and leave a tad extra space for anything else, I'm satisfied. Better then most factory options available out there.

Suit definetly looks like the best bang for the buck, cordura trilam wise at least, if you can fit in the stock size.

Ignore the fact of me flipping the bird in the photo. :)
test.jpg

Merino lined hood is very warm, not hot, and keeps (if proper sized) water entry to the minimum. I realized that on surface when I had to spread it a bit in order to hear what my friend at the surface was commenting, my skin was as dry as possible.

Hood works very well with the latex neck seal, keeping water to the minimum, I felt fresh water on few occasions when I was really moving my head around, trying to see if I'll get any water in. I managed to get my wrists wet, but I think that's unavoidable, considering my very small and hairy wrists. :D

After a 30 minute dive it didn't get hot with that undergarment, so I think I'll be using it from November until May or so, as we have really cold winds here a lot (N-NE wind) so the surface interval is nice to keep being warm. :)

On the other hand, I managed to go with 8kg of lead, and maintain neutral at 2m with 20 bar left in the tank (15L steel), so I guess I'll be able to drop another kg or so in the near future.

Not much more I can add, I'm very satisfied with my purchase, and I hope that the Evo 2 will serve me nice in many years to come. :)

I read your review and liked the candor. I had a rear entry Andy's suit and really liked the cordura material. I have over 200 dives on the drysuit and it is still going strong (had the neck seal and zipper replaced). I Lost enough weight such that the suit no longer fits properly. I was pushed toward DUI by some, but found they were lacking in a comprehensive cordura suit. Andy's has long since gone out of business, but I still loved their suits for high quality materials and inexpensive price. The boots on the Pinnacle Evo 2 are identical to the Andy's boots and the suit came in a self donning style that is better for me. They can easily accommodate extra woolen socks for those really cold dives. I ended up purchasing the Pinnacle Evo 2 but found that despite the website's claim of Women's & Mne's sizes, that they only offered the suit in Men's sizes. My only concern is that this will fit my figure properly. I should receive it sometime next week. Thanks for the initial honest evaluation of your suit. The photos helped!

I ended up purchasing the Pinnacle Evo 2 but found that despite the website's claim of Women's & Mne's sizes, that they only offered the suit in Men's sizes. My only concern is that this will fit my figure properly.

It has an elastic waist in the back, so it should 'shrink' a bit around you when you wear it anyway, you can see it here, it is a bit shriveled because of that:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/83345

While we're at it, I did some minor alterations, I sew the external crotch strap at a length that fits me as it kept sliding out from the keeper in the back.

I also added two pieces of rubber to the legs of the undergarment that can hold on to my feet to keep the undergarment moving a bit up when dressing. Found this a tad annoying. :)

I dove one of these suits through my LDS as a rental. It was a new suit and I am not sure if anyone else has dove it to this point.

The first weekend was at the blue hole in New Mexico and I didn't need the hood. The suit worked great. The 2nd weekend though we were in 40 degree water and the hood frankly was too small for my head. It put so much pressure on my jaw that breathing through my reg was really hard.

I still haven't bought one yet. I'd like to try a couple of other brands like the BAREs before commiting that much money to a suit.

Great review. I just got mine and hope to get it in the water this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out. I, for one, had to trim a TON off the wrists and new seals. I had to trim the hood as well. But my overall impression of the suit has been good, I just hope it works well once I get it wet.

I got 20 to 30 dives on mine and I love it. I also have the merino undergarment and like it too. The only thing I have found is that I am having difficulty venting on slow gradual inclines when surfacing. I dive in SoCAL and we are able to come from 60ft to the beach by swimming along the bottom and that's where I am having difficulty. This could be my technique, so I am not saying it is fault of the suit just something I have noticed. I really like my suit. It gets dove at least once a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom