Couples doing together diving course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I got certified together and have done all of our training since then together, including instructor training. Just remember to let her be independent in the course. If you try to help out too much, then she won't benefit. That's been the most difficult part for me because I'm naturally protective of her. But knowing that she is self sufficient underwater makes me feel better. I have also had couples as student divers in classes that I've had to talk to because the male half was doing too much of the work. For me, usually the first talking is enough to avoid splitting the couple up. I'd rather them learn to work together yet be independent.

My Boyfriend was PADI Certified in '86. Since I have know him (3 years) he has never really brought it up. I decided it was something I wanted to do and one day I signed up without talking to him about it. After I finished my SSI classes, he went with me on my open water test and did a refresher course. Since then I can't seem to get him out of "dive mode". I bought all my own gear, he then followed. He wanted to get as many classes as he could and I did it with him. (Nav, Nitrox, Deep, Night etc.). I think it is great that we have something in common that is a strong commitment from both of us, the only thing is I am far more conservative and cautious than he. I'm not ready for a dry suit or a rebreather. I think if he could, he would. That is the only pressure that I feel, that I am holding him back. But we have talked about it and it's better to go at the slower pace and dive with someone you can enjoy it with and trust. I'm still so new, I get scared, and I feel better with him near me. So, just with anything else by having a common interest with a significant other, there is bound to be some stress, but also some great memories.

The wife and I during our AOW & Nitrox dives, our Instructor told us that if I did too much of the work, the he WOULD separate us. SO, she did her part and I did mine.

Here's the bad part, we BOTH got drysuits for Christmas....only hers won't be in until Jan 13th. I was all setup to go to the LDS and get in the pool to start work on the Drysuit Course. She said she didn't want me to go until she could!! LOL I think I've created a monster! Now, I've got to wait.........(maybe not!) :)

We did our classes together and there were no issues. I agree with those who say it depends on the people involved.

Depends on the couple. Some couples are a pleasure and others are a pain. Diver must pull his or her own weight in the class at our shop or a DM will be close by to find out why. If we see the “me Tarzan you Jane syndrome” a Divemaster will get between the couple and get them apart. This way the instructor does not suddenly have an assistant.

Took OW with my wife in 1996. While filling out the medical form, she asked about ear problems. The course had been my suggestion, and I had completely forgotten that as a child she had two serious (perforated eardrum) infections.

Even years later the eardrum 'cover' was paper thin. This means that she had to be very cautious about anything approaching a quick descent. Taking a lot of care, we still managed to complete the course.

Finally (and after another ear infection) she decided it wasn't worth the risk any more. I miss her when diving an easy dive:116: , but I'd miss diving far too much to quit:D

As long as both partners are doing it because they want to, not to satisfy the other one, it's great to be able to take the course together. As an instructor, I've seen several couples come through the course together. Some did great, others we had to separate as buddies because one would try to 'teach' the other (and it wasn't always the male doing that either!). I've also had several situations where one partner felt pressured to take the course and was obviously just doing it to try and make their significant other happy. Some of these gave up the course on their own, and others we've had to tell that this just isn't the sport for them, but they can still come along on trips and ride on the boat or snorkel.

In my case, my boyfriend wasn't certified when we took our first trip to Mexico together. He went along on the boat and snorkelled and was ready to start his course when we got back. He was a great student, and is a wonderful dive buddy, and we've made numerous trips together now that he's as addicted as I am! :05:

I don't think my mother and I qualify as a "couple" (except to those of you in the South :) ), but we are looking forward to our lessons in 2 weeks. She said that I have to be the brain for us, so she can just enjoy the diving. Looks like I get to do all the planning....

Husband and I did all our courses together and have been diving together most of the time for 15 years. Like someone said, it's gonna depend on the people.

Diving with my wife is excrutiating. Don't do it, man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom