Course frustration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my OW aow course and I was talking to a buddy who took a course through a different company (the big one) rhymes with daddy.
He asked how much I paid for my drysuit course and my photography course and lift bag course and so on and so on.
I told him with a puzzled face that my instructor walked me through the steps and we went and worked on it the one day.
And that he does this for anyone .
He was shocked and dejected because he felt like he got robbed not only of his money but his time as well
Am I wrong in my thinking or am I a rogue diver who needs to be stopped

Well its a very subjective question, I have read through many of the post but not all, but let me say first that the instructor unless he/she is working for him/her self is not getting paid nearly as much of the course cost as one may think, in fact while it varies instructors may get as little as $12 a head for a group session and that varies dependent on the agency and the type of course (OW versus AOW or specialty courses). Now, throw in liability insurance, time spent training to be a trainer its not much a financially rewarding endeavor.

Now there are instructors at both ends of the spectrum those that will give extra time and help individuals master the skills need to be a safe and competent diver giving individuals the platform to build upon, then there are those that work in volume and as long as you can do a skill they pass you through to move on to the next group.

So to say if someone is robbed is hard its all what you wanted to get out of it. I took a drysuit course mainly to get the C card so I could rent a dry suit when needed if mine was unusable, I had others help me with actually learning how to use it but I did get something out of the class as well. Anyhow, I really did not answer you question completely as again its all on how the end user feels about what they received for their tuition in comparison as to what they wanted. And you can say that about things like college, much of what an individual is taught in school is not directly used in their profession but its required to get the degree so you do it, is that being robbed? Maybe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom