Course Recommendations, Nitrox, Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on where you are an instructor. Here in New England, they get aprox. $15 an hour. They get discounts on equipment at the LDS they are teaching for however. But they still have to pay for their equipment, etc. Just went on a cert dive last Wednesday in Port Ann to dive on the Chester Poling wreck, and both instructors had to pay the full dive fee of $80, and bring their own tanks, etc.

Interesting. I was always under the impression that instructors just got x amount per student and were not paid by the hour. Perhaps some instructors will chime in.

I think taking nitrox with your OW cert is a good idea, unless you are 100% sure you will be diving in areas where nitrox is not available, or common. In Florida, it is very common and I have been on boats that actually required it (for the dives we had scheduled).

I also consider it to be a safety issue now. Nitrox is so prevalent, that you should really test the o2 content on every tank you are breathing. Even ones without a Nitrox label.

And, if your Nitrox training boils down to just a few "safety precautions", you need to find a better instructor.

Interesting. I was always under the impression that instructors just got x amount per student and were not paid by the hour. Perhaps some instructors will chime in.
That's how it works here. So bigger classes= more money, but not enough that tipping would be inappropriate, IMO.

I would not tip the instructor unless the circumstances were unusual, like he/she put in significant extra time coaching you or the class size was so small that it the experience was much more personalized than a typical group lesson. A shop that directs students to tip the instructor (even through a suggestion, not directive) is IMO on pretty shaky ground ethically. It's basically saying "even though you are paying us for a class, we are not compensating our instructors enough and you should subsidize that." This might be okay for someone in a service position, but not an educator.

For the nitrox question, I don't think it's necessary or even a good idea to bother taking it along with OW certification, and I would be a bit suspect of the motives for encouraging OW certification students to take it. It's highly unlikely that you would benefit from it during the class or even immediately afterwards unless you are diving in an unusual situation for new divers, like several dives/day to fairly significant depths.

It would be much better to simply take your certification class and get some shallow, easy dives in to develop your newly acquired skills. Then, when you are in a situation where nitrox use is actually beneficial, you can get the certification online or even at a dive resort where you might need the nitrox.

Someone mentioned that he considered nitrox to be "a safety issue." There is absolutely no evidence at all that nitrox use increases safety. It does lower the N2 load in comparison to air if used on an identical dive profile, but there are several other factors which would impact safety.

Do you tip the instructor if he is also the shop owner?

The boats I dive most often locally are captained by the shop/boat owners. They announce that crew are paid with tips. All tips go to the crew.

I don't tip instructors if they are also shop owners or get the full instructional fee unless it was exceptional.

I do tip the crews on boats. I appreciate the extra help my 71 year old shoulders get with gear.

I do tip private DMs I hire if I am happy with the service.

For some courses I have taken I do not tip since I view it as a services rendered. Nitrox would be such a course.

Someone mentioned that he considered nitrox to be "a safety issue." There is absolutely no evidence at all that nitrox use increases safety. It does lower the N2 load in comparison to air if used on an identical dive profile, but there are several other factors which would impact safety.

I think the comment was more in reference to potentially inadvertently picking up a tank containing something other than air in a busy filling station. Best to know how to check, and why you should check.

I also consider it to be a safety issue now. Nitrox is so prevalent, that you should really test the o2 content on every tank you are breathing. Even ones without a Nitrox label.

-Mark

I don't see why an instructor in scuba should be treated any differently than an instructor in any other endeavor. If you would tip the person who teaches you skiing, skydiving, piano or whatever, then tip your scuba instructor.

For the nitrox question, I don't think it's necessary or even a good idea to bother taking it along with OW certification, and I would be a bit suspect of the motives for encouraging OW certification students to take it. It's highly unlikely that you would benefit from it during the class or even immediately afterwards unless you are diving in an unusual situation for new divers, like several dives/day to fairly significant depths.

A lot depends on capability and the environment. But I have witnessed Nitrox being successfully integrated into OW training without any issue. But it was with small class size, and in an area where Nitrox is banked and actually cheaper for fills than air.

The safety factor is due to the prevalence of Nitrox usage in areas (like FL) and inconsistent usage of green 'Nitrox' tank labels. ie: a unlabeled rental tank could get filled with a high o2% and returned to the source shop. Who then may (or may not)top off with air(21%). No testing takes place, and the next tank rentor receives a tank with some mix >21% in the tank. They are not nitrox trained, and have no reason to even question the contents of their tank. Now, with 32%, you get to MOD (@1.6) at 132', and (1.4 P02) at 111', so chances of a dangerous CNS hit are pretty low.. but if you somehow ended up with 36% in your tank (could happen).. you be at a P02 of 1.6 at 114' which is definitely a potential safety risk.

There are members on this board that recommend testing EVERY tank for Co2. I humbly suggest your chances of accidentally getting a dangerously high o2% are actually more likely.

I just think the days of diving any tank without analyzing the gas are over..

Last edited:
Reactions: yle
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom