Cousteau-Gagnon "Hydro-lung" Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks very rarely fail hydro? Then explain my two PST HP120s that are door stops.

However I had an old Healthways tank pass hydro a year ago. I just need to find a new valve for it as they didn't like the original J-valve.

Hi Bill
It was nice meeting you at the Scuba show in Long Beach. I have a customer's PST tank barely make it past its first hydro. It was a HP119 and the PST tanks have a special procedure. I'm passing this on second hand so I might be a little off on the details. I believe he said pressurize the tanks to a certain percentage of the test pressure and let them set for a time then fill them to the test pressure. If they don't do the first step the tank will most likely fail. Despite doing this my customers tank went to 9.9% of the max 10% limit for testing ( I think those numbers are correct). The hydro guy said he was very concerned about the close tolerance and that it might be wise to retire the tank since that was the closest he has seen.
Lary

Hey I need a hydrolung for my collection, tell him I'll give him market value for it, which is typically 25 to 30 bucks, and have him shoot me a PM on here. Besides, he doesn't want it, that old stuff will kill ya!

I will ask him if he checks back with me. I have a few old things on the walls from customers who don't want them anymore. My favorite is a Dacor twin hose "Diving Lung" SN 2831. I don't know much about this but I think it's a fairly early model it still says "patent pending" If anybody has any information about it I'm curious. I was certified in 1973 and I unfortunately missed the 2 hose era although some of my friends who were a little older than me at the time still had some double hose regs.

Larry

.......................I was certified in 1973 and I unfortunately missed the 2 hose era although some of my friends who were a little older than me at the time still had some double hose regs.

Larry

It's not too late, reefrat has a nice pram for sale, a perfect first DH reg.....mine is going diving tomorrow.

Larry,

Please tell him I am interested. I'd like make a mutually beneficial deal.

Larry,

Please tell him I am interested. I'd like make a mutually beneficial deal.

I will pass it on to him when he returns for his gear.

Larry

I will ask him if he checks back with me. I have a few old things on the walls from customers who don't want them anymore. My favorite is a Dacor twin hose "Diving Lung" SN 2831. I don't know much about this but I think it's a fairly early model it still says "patent pending" If anybody has any information about it I'm curious. I was certified in 1973 and I unfortunately missed the 2 hose era although some of my friends who were a little older than me at the time still had some double hose regs.

Larry

Captain Larry,

That Dacor Diving Lung was probably their first production model, and believe it or not, you can probably very easily get it back into divable condition. You are in Florida, so it may have some rubber deterioration. But Dacor really made these regulators of very durable materials, and they could be serviced with a pair of pliers, a screwdriver, and a wrench. If you can preserve the rubber diaphragms, you probably have a divable regulator.

I would at least try to restore it, and use it in a pool. I remember trying one out in the very early 1960s, as I was looking to buy one used. It breathed very easily, and had a venturi which would allow it to continue giving air after the mouthpiece was removed at its best "Dial-a-Breath" setting (vane in line with the air flow). I ultimately did not choose it, and choose the Healthways Scuba as my first regulator.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom