Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think just read that BON passed legislation last week that permits them to treat people differently based upon their vaccine status which is intended to let them loosen travel restrictions on those fully vaccinated. I think they were going to waive testing for travel within the ABCs first.
It was the Netherlands that passed the legislation, which then applies to Bonaire.
From a speech by the island governor, transcribed at Speech by Island Governor Edison Rijna on May 27th 2021 - Crisiswebsite van het Openbaar Lichaam Bonaire
Last Tuesday the Lower House passed a new bill. This bill makes it possible to draw a policy distinction between people who are fully vaccinated and people who are not fully vaccinated. It means that we are able to differentiate between those groups when they enter Bonaire. We will start making that distinction for travelers entering from Curacao and Aruba. From 1 June onwards, a person coming from Curacao and Aruba may enter Bonaire without a test if they are fully vaccinated. You are fully vaccinated if you have had two coronavirus inoculations and your second inoculation was more than two weeks ago. Currently Aruba and Curacao are investigating whether they will be able to introduce this principle for passengers traveling from Bonaire to those islands as well.​

I think just read that BON passed legislation last week that permits them to treat people differently based upon their vaccine status which is intended to let them loosen travel restrictions on those fully vaccinated. I think they were going to waive testing for travel within the ABCs first.
I know that's the case for Saba. We're trying to book a trip there for a few weeks in September and they make it very clear, not fully vaccinated and you are not allowed on the island. They've done a remarkable job with their vaccine program. They have 85% of the population vaccinated. Bonaire is up to 73% or so. We still have people signing up but not in any large numbers. I'd be surprised if they got 80%.

yes you are correct that Netherlands passed it but Bonaire is going to implement in the way the Bon Gov's speech describes. All potentially positive for us if it can lead to removing one more travel hurdle.

They have 85% of the population vaccinated. Bonaire is up to 73% or so. We still have people signing up but not in any large numbers. I'd be surprised if they got 80%.
It is slowing a bit, but not a lot, yet.
upload_2021-5-30_16-13-9.png

Just an FYI... Returned Sunday, May 30th from two weeks on Bonaire. We were originally booked on American direct into Bonaire, but AA cancelled with no notification. We found out through following Bonaire COVID Facebook pages. We rebooked through Curacao - a bit more costly and more restrictions on weight, but we would have lost more by cancelling the condo. 72 hour PCR was no problem - free testing is readily available in our county. 24 hour antigen was a bit more challenging, but ended up getting it free as well at a local CVS. Timing was tricky as the wording for "24 hrs" was open to interpretation. We used our flight from Curacao (5:00 pm) as the start of the 24 hour clock and padded by an hour - so we tested at 6:00 pm on the day before departure. No problems. It was a pain to keep up with all the online registrations (Curacao and Bonaire require pre-registration) and also difficult to hone in on the fact that we were transiting in Curacao - not staying. Trip there went without a hitch. Diving was great, as usual. We used Dive Friends. All locations were open, but didn't open until 9:00am and closed at 5:00pm. No after-hours tanks! Had to improvise and be sure we had tanks before they closed or hit the dock at SD/Den Lamen. As we were staying at SD, it created only minimal inconvenience. Boats were not running daily (not an issue for us). When they do run, they are at 50% capacity. Nice.. We did hop on twice for dives at Klein Bonaire and some northern sites.

Plenty of test sites are available for returning to the US. Only antigen is required and US allows 72 hours from departure. We opted to do antigen test within 24 hours as we were returning through Curacao. Curacao states 72 hr PCR, but that is if you are staying. Not sure where my wife found it, but they are okay with 24 hour antigen for transit through the airport. Return trip went without a hitch.

Thanks, Wetlens. Your images are outstanding!

The rules changed: 72-hour PCR and antigen test upon arrival, or NAAT (PCR) within 24 hours of departure. Although this apparently was effective June 1, I didn't figure it out until just as we got home from our 24-hour-before antigen test, so by the time we leave Flamingo we will have had two jabs and three COVID tests each. I'm guessing we do not have COVID-19.

ENG_ReizenBonaire-010621-scaled.jpg

The rules changed: 72-hour PCR and antigen test upon arrival, or NAAT (PCR) within 24 hours of departure. Although this apparently was effective June 1, I didn't figure it out until just as we got home from our 24-hour-before antigen test, so by the time we leave Flamingo we will have had two jabs and three COVID tests each. I'm guessing we do not have COVID-19.

View attachment 663263
This was not communicated well. In fact, it is still conflicting info on the BoanireCrisis.com website, which is the "official" website. In one place it says:
The results of these tests are accepted on Bonaire:
1. A negative NAAT (PCR) test result, taken within 24 hours before departure
or
2. A negative NAAT (PCR) test result, taken within 72 hours before arrival on Bonaire and an Antigen test immediately upon arrival.​
And in another place it says:
* As of June 1, 2021, it is also possible for arriving travelers to have the antigen test taken at the airport of Bonaire.​
It was only today that the first statement above appeared, but the second statement above is still there, with the "also" that conflicts with the first statement above.

The point is:
If you get an NAAT test within 24h of departure (not really possible everywhere) then you do not need the second (antigen) test.
But if you get the NAAT test within 72h of arrival, then you DO need a second test (antigen), which can be gotten at the airport when you arrive for $47.50 (sign up in advance for the best service, at arrivalBonaire - Bonaire Safe Travel) or maybe can be done at home before you leave...not yet clear.

Well, we've got the belt--if they want the suspenders too, they'll let us know (I texted with the folks doing the airport testing, who responded immediately, telling me to "check with the authorities of Bonaire" . . .

The first two flights made it in yesterday. Funny that they landed 24 minutes apart. I'm sure getting the rapid test and picking up luggage was a zoo.

Back
Top Bottom