Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first two flights made it in yesterday. Funny that they landed 24 minutes apart. I'm sure getting the rapid test and picking up luggage was a zoo.
It was actually a rousing success. The airport fire trucks shot their water cannons over the plane, the whole airport staff, seemingly, formed a greeting line, bags came out with little stuffed donkeys and flamingoes set on them, a hurdy-gurdy and dancers accompanied two Miss Bonaire Tourisms while they passed out swag bags in the terminal, and the mood was all but delirious. Naturally, the baggage carousel broke down for awhile, but nobody seemed to mind. We were in our truck a little over an hour after we landed.

As to the Covid testing, our day-before Antigen tests were accepted with no questions. I saw a few people going over to get the on-arrival tests, but it’s before Customs, so I couldn’t tell much about it once.we got into the baggage scrum. There were a lot of tearful reunions, though, and we’ve already heard about a lot of hardship for people who couldn’t leave, or couldn’t return.

It was actually a rousing success. The airport fire trucks shot their water cannons over the plane, the whole airport staff, seemingly, formed a greeting line, bags came out with little stuffed donkeys and flamingoes set on them, a hurdy-gurdy and dancers accompanied two Miss Bonaire Tourisms while they passed out swag bags in the terminal, and the mood was all but delirious. Naturally, the baggage carousel broke down for awhile, but nobody seemed to mind. We were in our truck a little over an hour after we landed.

As to the Covid testing, our day-before Antigen tests were accepted with no questions. I saw a few people going over to get the on-arrival tests, but it’s before Customs, so I couldn’t tell much about it once.we got into the baggage scrum. There were a lot of tearful reunions, though, and we’ve already heard about a lot of hardship for people who couldn’t leave, or couldn’t return.
Thanks for the update - any updates on the island will be much appreciated. We finally managed to hook up our flights plus our rooms in December.

Well, one thing is for certain: Covid is no longer surging on Bonaire. Quite the thread, Tursiops.

Well, one thing is for certain: Covid is no longer surging on Bonaire. Quite the thread, Tursiops.

I sure hope not. Friends and I are booked for August. But I do keep an eye on this thread (because I don't use Facebook or follow Bonairetalk, etc.).

Yeah, I guess I ought to give an update.
There have been four issues: (a) covid cases on the island; (b) vaccination status on the island; (c) testing protocol to get onto the island; and (d) flights direct from the US to Bonaire.

(a) covid cases on the island
Things are really going well. From a peak of currently-active infections back in late March (461 infections on an island of about 19k people) they have below 10 since May 30, and are running 1-3 right now. Daily new infections are 0-1 since May 19.
upload_2021-6-11_17-15-21.png

(b) vaccination status on the island
Things are really going well. The local government set a goal of 85% (about 16k) vaccinations to be attained by June 1. They did not make that target, but early July is still possible. The vaccination rate slowed down due to reluctance of individuals for all the usual specious purposes, like everywhere else.
upload_2021-6-11_17-18-30.png

(c) testing protocol to get onto the island
This has been a moving target, but in general you can say it is getting easier all the time, with prospects to get a lot easier in the not distant future.
The most recent information is on BonaireCrisis.com, and it changes almost daily. Right now, the protocol for arrivals from the US is stated on that site as:
The results of the following tests are accepted on Bonaire:
1. A negative NAAT (PCR)-test result, from a test taken within 24 hours before departure.
or
2. A negative NAAT (PCR)-test result, from a test taken within 72 hours before arrival on Bonaire and an antigen-test at arrival.​
Some explanation is needed:
  • Under option 1, the "before departure" means your flight leaving your home, if you are flying straight through or making a connection, but NOT if you have an overnight on the way. So, for example, if you are flying from MSP to ATL to BON on Delta, and overnighting in ATL before the 10am flight Saturday morning to BON, your negative NAAT test "24h before departure" is 24h before the 10am Saturday flight ATL-BON.
  • Under option 2, you CAN take the antigen test at the Bonaire airport when you arrive ($47.50 plus taxes) or you can take it within 24h of arrival at home before you leave for Bonaire. So if you arrive in Bonaire at 9say) 2pm Saturday, your antigen test must be after 2pm on Friday, at home. (This relaxation of what it says for the option 2 antigen test is per a direct question and response from the public health dept in Bonaire.)
There is reason for optimism. Fully vaccinated persons (shots plus 2 weeks, or "2+2") can freely enter Bonaire from Aruba and Curacao. This appears to be a trial run prior to opening it up further.

(d) flights direct from the US to Bonaire
Delta and American are both flying twice a week (Weds and Saturday) from ATL and MIA, respectively. This started June 5. United says they will start in November.
The only issue with the current flights is cost, Saturday costs more than Wednesday, and Delta costs more than American. One needs to shop around a bit for dates, and recognize that the prices change multiple times per day, and from day to day.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Political crap removed.
Please stay on topic!!!

I keep seeing conflicting information on scuba board threads in reference to the antigen test. Some posts infer you can take the antigen test 24 hrs. prior to departure from Atlanta or at the a Bonaire airport and some posts infer the only option is to do it upon arrival on Bonaire. Which is it?

I keep seeing conflicting information on scuba board threads in reference to the antigen test. Some posts infer you can take the antigen test 24 hrs. prior to departure from Atlanta or at the a Bonaire airport and some posts infer the only option is to do it upon arrival on Bonaire. Which is it?
I emailed the Bonaire public health dept on this question. They said both options are acceptable. The BonaireCrisis website is ambiguous; in one place it only mentions doing it at the airport, in another place it says you can "also" do it at the airport. I plan to get the Abbott Labs "ID NOW" test 24h before departure and not even do the antigen test.

See Tursiops reply above.....and reinvestigate weekly since things keep evolving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom