Coz dive site gps coords

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple, buy yourself a hand held GPS...Then you won't be relying on others that might be incorrect.......

Ridiculous. First and foremost, the dive sites don't move around. Therefore, once one knows the coordinates for a given site then one can tag photos taken there again and again without the need for a GPS unit. I have no need to be able to navigate by the coordinates - I just want to be able to geotag pictures.

Second, once we determine reasonably accurate coordinates for each of the sites then many people can use them without having to buy a handheld GPS unit. Again, these don't have to be accurate to the half-meter. They just need to be able to separate one reef from the next.

Finally, the last thing I need is to be dealing with a GPS unit on a dive boat. I had a GPS-enabled phone with me on my last trip and briefly considered taking it for this purpose but realized that would be an unnecessary distraction from diving.

Ridiculous. First and foremost, the dive sites don't move around. Therefore, once one knows the coordinates for a given site then one can tag photos taken there again and again without the need for a GPS unit. I have no need to be able to navigate by the coordinates - I just want to be able to geotag pictures.

Second, once we determine reasonably accurate coordinates for each of the sites then many people can use them without having to buy a handheld GPS unit. Again, these don't have to be accurate to the half-meter. They just need to be able to separate one reef from the next.

Finally, the last thing I need is to be dealing with a GPS unit on a dive boat. I had a GPS-enabled phone with me on my last trip and briefly considered taking it for this purpose but realized that would be an unnecessary distraction from diving.

Good luck then, didn't realize a 3X4" box would distract someone that much, how's your figure/ground??.....

From our trip last June:

Palancar Gardens
20º20'35"N / 87º01'42" W

Paseo de Cedral
20º23'04" N / 87º01'42" W

and then I quit logging the Lats and Longs.

Ian

Ian,
Thanks for the coords.
I have a handheld GPS w/map background & like having the area reefs/dive sites entered into it. It gives me "situational awareness" on the boat ride out and back.

I usually start a track when we leave the dock & hang it from the first stage. When we get to dive site I mark the location & toss the unit into my dive bag. I also log the coords of my dive.
Mike

Good luck then, didn't realize a 3X4" box would distract someone that much, how's your figure/ground??.....

Just think about it a bit. Yes, it's a small box. One that in most cases is not very water-resistant and is somewhat fragile. I've got to find a place to stow it where it won't have a tank dropped on it. I have to get it out, turn it on to record, and re-stow it while everyone is trying to gear up and roll in before the dive, or in the scrum on the boat as everyone is getting sorted after the dive and the crew is trying to get to the SI location (we're usually underway within minutes of climbing the ladder). My oxygen analyzer is enough of a pain in this regard, and can be used well before we arrive at the site.

I'm on vacation. I'd really rather focus on talking with my family about the dive, chatting with the DM, and generally having fun.

Thanks to ianw2, we've got 2 sites down.

Ian,
Thanks for the coords.
I have a handheld GPS w/map background & like having the area reefs/dive sites entered into it. It gives me "situational awareness" on the boat ride out and back.

Me, too! I'm a land surveyor here in Southern California. I have a Magellan Color hand-held that I use for reconaisance work in my private practice. I shove it in a Coleman water proof, flexible bag to take with me on boats. I'd never thought of hanging it on my tank during the ride though.

I thought I'd collected more waypoints than two. I guess I just got lazy on vacation.:D

Next time...

Ian

GPS, shmePS, In the olden days, when I first started diving in the Navy, we used to just go out in a boat over a reef, put on your mask, stick your head in the water over the side and decide if that looked like a good place to get wet! simple.

One thing about dive sites on Cozumel, being drift dive sites, they can be possibly be up to a mile long or more depending on current, and direction of current for that matter, a spacific setting may tell you the general area to drop down, but it doesn't really cover the dive site.

It's funny, I contacted the dive op I'm going to use in Puerto Morelos this fall, about a dive site map and they said they didn't have one because all thier sites were on the boat on the GPS...nice for them, but doesn't help their clients much.

wow. never thought there would be this many trolls in the scuba community.....

I found this site: Cozumel Isalnd - Diving in Cozumel Isalnd, Mexico - Wannadive.net - World dive site atlas

It is accurate enough for my needs. Those being:

1. I just want a rough location to tag in my log book
2. Maybe I want to geo-locate my photos
3. I like maps
4. I like putting pins in them

Whatever the reason, why can't we just let people who have coordinate post them instead of clogging up the post berating the OP on how much they don't need to know GPS points or why they should carry a $300 device with them that's not waterproof and that is just one more thing to think about when gearing up.

That is all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom