Coz dive site gps coords

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that any site that claims any connection between Jacques Cousteau and Cozumel starts out being unreliable just on that point alone.

There is this Google Maps map with quite a few more sites. I disagree a bit on some of them (when I was looking at it in detail I thought a couple of sites were switched, but I no longer recall which ones), but most are "close enough". One can extract the GPS coordinates from each site by trying to get driving directions to it.

FWIW, there is no post in this thread that I would class as trolling. Not even close.

Agreed. This thread contained some disagreements but no trolling. I hope it doesn't become grumpy now that it's been awakened after a 6 1/2 year sleep.

Keep in mind that any site that claims any connection between Jacques Cousteau and Cozumel starts out being unreliable just on that point alone.

There is this Google Maps map with quite a few more sites. I disagree a bit on some of them (when I was looking at it in detail I thought a couple of sites were switched, but I no longer recall which ones), but most are "close enough". One can extract the GPS coordinates from each site by trying to get driving directions to it.

Agreed. This thread contained some disagreements but no trolling. I hope it doesn't become grumpy now that it's been awakened after a 6 1/2 year sleep.

For the record, in 1992 I finally found the Devil's Throat after 5 attempts. Triangulation by land features are poor and most of the time visibility will not allow for visual identification of the site. I then used a GPS to mark it, and ever since we have had a GPS on every boat. It has been my instructions to captains to use GPS for every drop and we do have coordinates for every site. However, at easily identified sites they don't use GPS, but GPS remains our standard guide.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

For the record, in 1992 I finally found the Devil's Throat after 5 attempts. Triangulation by land features are poor and most of the time visibility will not allow for visual identification of the site. I then used a GPS to mark it, and ever since we have had a GPS on every boat. It has been my instructions to captains to use GPS for every drop and we do have coordinates for every site. However, at easily identified sites they don't use GPS, but GPS remains our standard guide.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

And sure the old Capis like to triangulate, but if you dive enough you might have the experience of starting a dive at a little 'different' spot. Good for you Dave.

A few years ago on our last dive of the trip we went to Colombia Shallows, or at least we tried to. The captain totally missed the reef and we spent an hour in a sand trap. GPS would have been nice.

A few years ago on our last dive of the trip we went to Colombia Shallows, or at least we tried to. The captain totally missed the reef and we spent an hour in a sand trap. GPS would have been nice.

I find it kind of crazy that after 5 minutes the DM wouldn't have had you all surface and tell the captain "uh, there's no reef there- try again".

Or maybe they don't do that.

I took my handheld GPS on the boat on our last trip to GC for this exact purpose.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. That should be good enough for a diver's logbook. It's not likely we will be returning later in our own boat. Besides, a dive site is an area not a point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom