Coz dive with ScubaMau today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Firstdive2005, for the info/suggestions. Yes, we will be renting a car (gotta check out topside for sure and see what we can get into). They'll be 2 of us both diving. I will be contacting Opal for more information..........thanks again!

Thanks Firstdive2005, for the info/suggestions. Yes, we will be renting a car (gotta check out topside for sure and see what we can get into). They'll be 2 of us both diving. I will be contacting Opal for more information..........thanks again!
Hi diver! I rented my ferrari from ISIS car rental. Margarita is the owner, she is just fabulous. The cars have broad range but she does not burn you on price. She has never invented scratches or even tried. Others have, particularly Smart Car rentals. If I had not photoed the car I would have been charge for a srcatch and we watched her rub it. They also have scooters if you want to risk that. Also when you see the word TOPE on a sign on the right side of the road, SLOW DOWN NOW! That word pretty much translates to 'transmission tearing bump ahead'. They are very nasty speed bumps. Watch out for cabs jostling to get in front of you to get back into their lineups. They rule. Make sure you get to Punat Sur park, it is so beautiful there, you will be taken to an amazing beach to relax at. Snorkeling is sort of ok. The bay reef has been killed by sun block some think. But the beach is nonetheless spectacular. There is a snack bar there, serving chipsnpopnbeer. We brought fruit and healthier snacks. I'm excited for you. So many great posters here will be delighted to tell you strories, just ask!
ps. I'm not rich, a mexican ferrari is a VW convertible to me.

firstdive2005, thanks for clearing up your Mexican Ferrari, I was beginning to wonder.....I know Island time is laid back but when it comes to driving they're CRAZY! Is ISIS car rental @ the airport? Am making notes of places your suggesting, I can't wait........gives me something to look forward to although its a few months away.......mucho thanks again!
Tanya

Hi Tanya- Isis is locate of 5 avenida between Calle 2and4. I just took a cab to my hotel and went back to the shop later. I liked the fact I did not have all my bags and we just felt we go wherever we wanted right then and there. FREEDOM!!!!!
Besides thats why it is a lot cheaper. My travel visa covered my insurance issues. Everything. I called them to make sure they covered Mexico. Not all will. So there is a manditory insurance she puts on free. You may have to pay covereage out of pocket before leaving the country but you should be reimbursed later by visa later if you have an accident.

Hi diver! I rented my ferrari from ISIS car rental. Margarita is the owner, she is just fabulous. The cars have broad range but she does not burn you on price.

Since you brought it up - a couple of questions, please. How much did she charge you? Is there any parking in downtown SM? (don't laugh - I've never been there) Gas prices in Mexico still as cheap as they used to be?

Thanks in advance

HI Geokr! If you go to her Website, Isiscarentalcozumel.com, she gives a range of cars and prices. She will do a deal on the length of time. She does have a lower price range to start with. I have been renting from her for many visits so I get bold with her. Not greedy, I just ask to be driven to the ports I'm leaving from when I return the car to her, that's easy for her. I have talked to some people driving other rentals and they where up to 25 dollars a day more for the same vehicle. Parking downtown is limited during the day. There are parking lots easily found priced from 8 pesos up. Across from Barracuda was 10pesos an hr. last week. As far as I could tell gas is about the same as in Edmonton, about 83cents litre. I really am not sure. All I know is I drove everyday alot and filled the ferrari once during and it was almost empty when I filled it to return. Fill was 350 pesos. I really did drive alot. The downtown parking question is a good one by the way. Also dont park where there is an E with a circle and stroke through it. Like the no smoking sign. Your car wont disappear, your plate will. You will need to pick it up at the police station after paying the fine. Not sure how much that is. As Coz is a very safe place to go, there are those that cherish your belongings more than you. So dont leave anything visible through the car windows. Put everything in your trunk. Watch out for people checking you out. Not to put scare out there, it's just common sense. Theives here in Edmonton watch for people in mall sites as they load their trunks. I dont think our theives invented that. kev

Since you brought it up - a couple of questions, please. How much did she charge you? Is there any parking in downtown SM? (don't laugh - I've never been there) Gas prices in Mexico still as cheap as they used to be?

Thanks in advance

Parking in town within a couple of blocks of the water can be problematic; there are not that many legal spots. If you park by a red painted curb, you'll get ticketed, the policia will remove your license plate, and you'll have to go pay the ticket to get it back. Trying to return a rental car without the plate will probably cost you your deposit. Also, the paint is getting very old and worn on some of those curbs; you sometimes have to look very closely to see it, although the police know exactly where all the red zones are.

When I was there last May, gas prices were about the same as in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom