Coz weather update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The sun is out today and things are starting to dry up, although some areas may take a couple of days or more.

Many operators, including myself have canceled all dive trips today (understandably) to regroup and to pick-up the pieces for those who lost everything. I am optimistic that some normalcy will be restored to the island tomorrow, but clean-up efforts will be ongoing through the week I'm sure.

I'll keep you posted on any relief efforts that I hear of and the weather of course.

Gordon, when I responded to your post "rainy day in Coz" it really was just some off and on showers, then it just never stopped, and then another system hit us. We didn't have any high winds thankfully.

The flooding is always what I fear most about these systems. Most of the buildings and houses now are built to withstand hurricane force winds, but there is never anything you can do about the flooding which is more devastating in most cases. This will also affect the visibility for diving for awhile.

Thanks to all for your prayers and support.

Christi:
The sun is out today and things are starting to dry up, although some areas may take a couple of days or more.

[...]

Gordon, when I responded to your post "rainy day in Coz" it really was just some off and on showers, then it just never stopped, and then another system hit us. We didn't have any high winds thankfully.

Yeah; when you responded I went back to the infrared satellite shot and saw that the vivid orange (cloud top temps of -100 F, which indicates heavy rain) was all around Cozumel but not right on top of you. Over the next few hours I watched the orange move in, so I figured that things were changing for you, and not for the better.

FWIW, the NOAA Hurricane Center did not class what went through there as tropical in nature, which probably accounts for there not being much wind in it.

Christi,

Here in Cancun over the weekend, we had more rain than I have seen for a long while, but no damage at all. Who lost everything? Did you guys get it worse than us?

Christi:
You guys may have gotten the same system we had up here in North Texas last Wednesday. It was some of the most torrential rain I have seen in a long time. My house got flooded, as well. :frown:

Wow, I hope property was the only casualties. A hardship, but can be replaced.

Do keep us posted on relief efforts Christi. I tried to find something on it on-line but couldn't find anything on Coz, just the DR and Haiti. These were at worlddivision.org and direct relief international sites. I have no clue as to their work and how well they handle the funds they get. I'm always leary of donating to sites. What kind of governmental relief is available, and how would we assist with that?

Hope the clean-up and recovery goes quickly.

cancun mark:
Christi,

Here in Cancun over the weekend, we had more rain than I have seen for a long while, but no damage at all. Who lost everything? Did you guys get it worse than us?

If it tells you anything about the situation here compared to Cancun, people here were evacuated TO Cancun.

I heard from one of my group's who were MIA this morning. They were evacuated to Cancun an were told they will not be moved back to Cozumel this week.

I don't know how familiar you are with Cozumel, but the road to the northern hotel zone was completely impassable and two hotels there are completely closed (no power, no potable water, and water in the bottom floors.

The airport was flooded, and basically from 30th back was all swamp with few exceptions. I was one of the lucky ones and only because when I built my house I had them build it one block higher. If there had been another inch of rain, I would have had water inside as well, so you can only imagine how many people here have been affected by this.

I am glad to hear that Cancun fared this ok. Let's pray that this is the worst of our season!

ScubaTexan, this was a different system. It came from the eastern caribbean.

Has anyone heard anything new from one of our other natives, Dan Kom? I know his hotel is very close to the airport so I'm concerned. Last I heard in the other thread he was trying to get home...

Wow, that is worse than we got here. I was on the road to Playa on Friday night and it took me 1 hour 45 mins compared to the usual 45 minutes, but I didnt hear of any evacuations, just a lot of stalled cars and soggy people.

Hope things dry up for you guys soon. I guess this sun will help.

Thanks James,

Im ok. I have a flight tomorrow...the Airport reopened at 11:00 today. My place was watched by the Gods and only had 2 inches of water throughout. None of the rooms were touched. there has been some looting and robberies, which is unfortunate. A lot of people were evacuated to Cancun. Especially on the north end of the Island. Most hotels there were flooded real bad. Hopefully it will stay dry to let the island dry out...

thanks for your thoughts....Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom