Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, that. TP will drop you off at Money Bar for nachos and non-alcoholic drinks (or a margarita if you prefer to live life on the edge), go refuel and swap tanks, and then pick you up about an hour later. After that, they'll bring you back to the marina and send you in a cab to your hotel. You'll be back home by about 4-4:30 to go out for dinner in town, where you have more than four entree options for the whole week.
Great to know, thanks!! But no place for quick nap....:wink: And do other dive ops do this???

I'm seeing that one can rent a compact at CZM right now for literally 8-10 bucks a day, then you could drive down and back from the marina and save the expensive cab rides. Only question is, where to park in town?? Also, anyone know what the ATMs are giving down there right now re exchange rate on pesos from debit card?? Thanks.

That sucks, sorry to hear it.

Kel No comps. They cared less. The water was dirty because of all the sand being kicked up by boat traffic. Never saw anyone even attempting to snorkel there and very few swimming... they were too busy in the pools. Dry landers... what can you say.... The rough seas were over at Playa. I agree with Dive Paradise... Class Act.......

Great to know, thanks!! But no place for quick nap....:wink: And do other dive ops do this???
I'm sure plenty of others do, but I can only speak from experience with Tres Pelícanos. One complaint I've heard about the fast boat is that there is also no time for a nap.
I'm seeing that one can rent a compact at CZM right now for literally 8-10 bucks a day, then you could drive down and back from the marina and save the expensive cab rides. Only question is, where to park in town?? Also, anyone know what the ATMs are giving down there right now re exchange rate on pesos from debit card?? Thanks.
Current exchange rate is 19.22:1, and that's probably about what you'll get from an ATM. Last June, I think I got a little over 20.5, which was pretty much exactly what Google told me I should be getting at the time. I'm going crazy watching the number drop this week with only three more days until I'm there.

Too funny re the nap! And yes, that is a great rate, so better to buy pesos and pay cabs, meals in pesos. Credit card points not worth it, US cash cab rate too expensive--$25 from marina to town??

Please tell us about that car when you get back from the trip.

Too funny re the nap! And yes, that is a great rate, so better to buy pesos and pay cabs, meals in pesos. Credit card points not worth it, US cash cab rate too expensive--$25 from marina to town??
I can't imagine anybody would charge your $25 USD from marina to town. Most likely, $9-12, but the drivers can make up whatever exchange rate they like. My usual plan is to take the shuttle to my hotel as soon as I arrive (hopefully paid with pesos leftover from last time I was there), get checked in, then immediately head for an ATM to get cash for the week, followed by a trip to a groceria or Mega to get water, snacks, and fruit (I can't get enough mexican bananas) to keep in the hotel room. Then pay everything in cash all week and make sure that I have exact change for the taxi rides to and from FONATUR.

You have to be careful about using your credit card on the island, not just because of it getting compromised, but because some restaurants will use it as a way to rip you off. Most restaurants post an exchange rate that is much more favorable to them, like 17:1 when the real rate is 19.5:1, which is fair considering that USD is not their currency and it's a bit of an inconvenience to them. But they will then apply that exchange rate before running your card in USD instead of pesos, so instead of paying 210 pesos for your lunch, or about $10.75, you end up paying $12.35. It's rare and you can usually avoid it by telling them to run the card in pesos ("Cobrala en pesos, por favor."), but it's better to just avoid both potential problems and pay cash.

Use your ATM at the Mega....there are a few ATMs to chose from.

Please tell us about that car when you get back from the trip.
I know, right? Doesn't seem possible but that's what Orbitz shows for non-holiday weekend. We'll see (if I do it that is).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom