Cozumel Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h2oDawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My girlfriend and I are taking a last minute trip to Cozumel the week after Christmas. This is our first trip to Cozumel. We are staying at the Casa Mexicana. I'd like to get some information on favorite places/things to do and see in Cozumel? We of course are going diving and would welcome any advice there too. I have reached out to Aldora Diving. Any must do things in Cozumel? Great restaurants? Thanks for the help!

We dive with Aldora and stay at CM as well. Usually at least twice a year. Good choice. Do a search on restaurants or favorites and you will get a weeks worth of reading.

Here is the quick list-
Lobster and lionfish- la Perlita (take a cab) ceviche is good too. Must do
Lobster sandwich with bacon- la Chef. Easy walk. Must do
Lobster rolls- lobster Shack across from the Thirsty Cougar
Scallops- guidos, longer but easy walk. Nicer restaurant
Lunch -la Choza, easy walk
Drinks and lunch after diving- The Thirsty Cougar, between Aldora pier and CM, must do
Coffee and desserts- coffee shop behind Thirsty Cougar, must do
Burritos- burrito Gordito or King Burrito, longer but easy walk
Bakery-Zermatt, by Burrito Gordito, breakfast pastries and cookies
Ice cream and awesome jorchata, Manchocan east of the square, easy walk (pina colad jorchata and a vanilla ice cream bar....mmmmmmmm)

Christy, owner of Blue XTSea divers and a strong supporter of this site, has a list of restaurants on their website.

When you get in, walk south of CM about 2 blocks and stock up on snacks, little bananas (they are like crack), bottled water, beer (Bohemia Obscura), and coconut water. Aculpoco brand, pineapple flavored is really good. Aldora does their surface interval at a beach club so food and drinks are available. I like coconut water and bananas to avoid cramps while diving so we load up at Mega and take them with us. If you freeze the coconut water, it is perfect by the surface interval time. Dive Master Jorge (and every other captain and DM) likes the little chocolate cookies by the way, and I usually buy several boxes of the individually wrapped cookies to take on the boat for the SI. You can take fruit from the buffet for the SI. I have also heard that CM will let you make a lunch to take with you.

The breakfast buffet is awesome. It's a shame you are diving right after breakfast so go easy. I get heart burn when I eat a lot then dive. The buffet starts at 7 but you can get coffee and fruit usually by 6:50 or so. We leave at 7:20ish and it's a 5 minute walk to the pier to leave.

Bottled Water is available on the boat for free.

Aldora uses 120cf tanks for long dives. Most of ours push 75 to 90 minutes. Nitrox is a good idea and strongly recommended. I think it also gets you on the better boats after your check out dive.

Don't forget to do a night dive...you will thank me later.

Christian and Abraham at the Cougar will treat you like family. Tell them Jay and Kelly and ******* the Cat from Oklahoma say hello. My wife loves the chocolate peanut butter margarita. Drink a Bohemia Obscura for me. It's the best beer I have found.

Truth is, there is so much good food on Coz, it's hard to have a favorite. It's just a matter of what your in the mood for.

Again, do a search on favorites or restaurants and there are several posts on the subject.

Safe travels,
Jay

Great restaurants?

Read through the gazillion threads here on the Cozumel forum, as just about every fifth or sixth post is about restaurants. It's a running joke on the Coz forum that every post eventually turns into a restaurant discussion. I see a post from about 10 days ago where someone asked for restaurant recommendations near Casa Mexicana. There used to be a forum Sticky with Christi's Restaurant List, but I can't seem to find it anymore. In any case, you will have no trouble finding places to eat well in Coz.

Christian and Abraham at the Cougar will treat you like family. Tell them Jay and Kelly and ******* the Cat from Oklahoma say hello. My wife loves the chocolate peanut butter margarita. Drink a Bohemia Obscura for me. It's the best beer I have found.[/QUOTE]

The cats name is A$$hole....

Thanks for the replies very helpful. What about things to beside eat and dive?

Anyone do any shore diving there? If so, where and who did you rent tanks from? Thanks

Shore dive is in front of Blue Angel resort (what used to be called Paradise reef) and may still be called that. Also a good shore dive in front of Scuba Club Cozumel if you want to look at small critters, the usual array of reef fish etc... however you would have to drift dive to get to it. I'm sure Dave at Aldora will be able to get you some rental tanks as well or point you to where you can get some.

You can get a tank and shore dive at blue angel, hotel Cozumel and tikila bar which is down by the cruise ship pier but by far the best of the 3. Ask for Mario at tikila bar he can point you where to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom