Cozumel Airport and Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hondaid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently took my 2nd trip this year to the island. And this is the 2nd time my dive gear was lost and delayed. Has anyone else had these issues or is it just me??

I recently took my 2nd trip this year to the island. And this is the 2nd time my dive gear was lost and delayed. Has anyone else had these issues or is it just me??

This sounds more like an issue for the airline than for the CZM airport. Who were you flying with?

Sorry Hondaid for your bad luck with your dive gear! No, in 9 trips to the island we've always arrived with our 2 gear bags on the same plane. However, I can say, our dive gear is in regular suitcases with no dive markings on them whatsoever. You don't say where you are traveling from and/or how many plane changes you have to make which would make a big difference in the chances of it becoming wayward.... As would the airlines you are dealing with....

Hey 3rd time is bound to be the clincher of it arriving with you! So, sounds like you just gotta plan a 3rd trip huh??!!!

I'm confused as to how the Cozumel airport would be a factor in this. Your luggage either arrives or it doesn't. The luggage goes straight from the airplane to the baggage claim conveyor belt and you can see the baggage guys the entire time. it's not like Cozumel is an airport that is transferring luggage from one flight to another...so the problem happens before Cozumel. Furthermore, Cozumel baggage handlers have only one or two flights at a time to worry about....not a dozen or more like in large airports.

What airline are you flying? How many connections and where? What airport are you originating in?

I've taken dive trips to Cozumel many times throughout the years, going back as far as 1985. Back in the mid-eighties, when we arrived in cozumel, we were unable to locate the luggage of one of the girls on the trip with us. She was very unhappy and almost returned home, but we were able to convince her to stay. Some of the other girls on the trip loaned her clothes to wear.

At the conclusion of the trip while at the Cozumel Airport boarding our flight, she noticed that some of the girls at the airport were wearing her clothing. She was sure it was hers, because some of the items were very unique. She was very upset and brought it to the attention of the officials at the airport. They appeared to be very unsympathetic and simply told her that if she would like to not board her flight, then they would look into it - She ultimately boarded her flight and left with the group.

I've traveled to Cozumel, as well as many other locations all over the world, both on dive and non-dive trips. Fortunately, this kind of thing has not happened to me personally, but it has happened to other family and friends of mine numerous times.

We are all at the mercy of the currupt system at the different airports and locations we travel to, especially in other countries. One must simply accept it and assume that it may happen to you and plan around it. Since that flight, I always try to travel with my expensive or essential dive equipment (regulator, computere, etc.) with me as carry-on. I also take a few changes of clothing within my carry-on and on non-diving trips, I take as much as my luggage as carry-on as possible; furthermore, I make every effort not to use expensive looking dive bags or photo equipment cases, unless absolutely necessary.

I've taken dive trips to Cozumel many times throughout the years, going back as far as 1985. Back in the mid-eighties, when we arrived in cozumel, we were unable to locate the luggage of one of the girls on the trip with us. She was very unhappy and almost returned home, but we were able to convince her to stay. Some of the other girls on the trip loaned her clothes to wear.

At the conclusion of the trip while at the Cozumel Airport boarding our flight, she noticed that some of the girls at the airport were wearing her clothing. She was sure it was hers, because some of the items were very unique. She was very upset and brought it to the attention of the officials at the airport. They appeared to be very unsympathetic and simply told her that if she would like to not board her flight, then they would look into it - She ultimately boarded her flight and left with the group.

I've traveled to Cozumel, as well as many other locations all over the world, both on dive and non-dive trips. Fortunately, this kind of thing has not happened to me personally, but it has happened to other family and friends of mine numerous times.

We are all at the mercy of the currupt system at the different airports and locations we travel to, especially in other countries. One must simply accept it and assume that it may happen to you and plan around it. Since that flight, I always try to travel with my expensive or essential dive equipment (regulator, computere, etc.) with me as carry-on. I also take a few changes of clothing within my carry-on and on non-diving trips, I take as much as my luggage as carry-on as possible; furthermore, I make every effort not to use expensive looking dive bags or photo equipment cases, unless absolutely necessary.

Ok, but you said yourself that was in the mid 80's. Have you seen the Cozumel airport lately? You can see everything that goes on from the plane to the baggage claim area AND Cozumel airport and the airlines have computerized systems...so they can tell if the baggage made it onto or off the plane in a certain destination. I'm not saying that luggage doesn't go missing...of course it does....but alot has changed in the last 20+ years with regards to baggage control and airport security, even in Cozumel.

I just have to question why the OP would automatically assume it was the Cozumel airport rather than considering the airline or airport(s) he departed from or connected in.

I did not get that he was blaming the coz airport so much as asking if there was a problem he should be aware of. Seemed like an innocent question really.

That being said we had luggage issues last week as well. It was def the airlines fault. Was funny that they could not locate 7 bags but they were there the whole time. The reason I think its funny is that the airport is so small scale 7 bags should stand out when no flights are in.

I recently took my 2nd trip this year to the island. And this is the 2nd time my dive gear was lost and delayed. On the home bound leg. 1 LOST FOR EVER 2500.00 ++ AND 2ND 24HR DELAY
Has anyone else had these issues or is it just me??

Sorry i am not trying to point blame but would like to know what is going on
gb

In about 20 trips beetween TX and Cozumel since 1999, I've only had a luggage problem once and that was getting from Houston to Austin (one and only time I did not go direct). A friend had his bag delayed a couple days going from Dallas to Coz but that waws a problem with Funjet and DFW. Cozumel folks were most helpful in tracking, finding, and delivering his bag.

I recently took my 2nd trip this year to the island. And this is the 2nd time my dive gear was lost and delayed. On the home bound leg. 1 LOST FOR EVER 2500.00 ++ AND 2ND 24HR DELAY
Has anyone else had these issues or is it just me??

Sorry i am not trying to point blame but would like to know what is going on
gb

Like others have said, it's not likely the airport but the airline. I've traveled extensively to many countries, the only time I lost luggage was in Chicago, flying Continental Airlines. I’d stop bashing Cozumel Airport, call the airline and get insurance next time.

Back
Top Bottom