Cozumel and currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have never done any drift diving and neither has my wife. I guess that is one new aspect of diving that makes me a little nervous. How hard is drift diving in Cozumel? Can one of yall kinda explain how it works to give me a better idea?

Thanks

Tom

Cozumel drift diving is some of the easiest diving there is. Just stick with your DM & watch the show.
Relax.
Enjoy.
Rick

Just like the word says, you drift along with the current. Make sure your weighting is accurate, and hone those lung control bouyancy skills, you'll need them to breeze over the coral heads as they come at ya!

No worries, Dewd...you'll both have a blast.

Tom,

Cozumel is rated amongst the highest for new divers doing their first post-OW cert dives! So, it is in the words of the sage, A Piece O' Cake!

Once you descend, you just follow your DM, fining a little, adjusting your bouyancy from time to time, and making sure your eyes don't bug out of your mask as some of the most beautiful underwater scenary in North America passes right before your eyes!

Actually, drift diving in the kind of currents you usually find at Coz is some of the easiest diving you will ever do! Now let's talk about the Tahiti Express that rounds Molokini.....

Oh yes, I gotta say when you're in Coz and looking for a good meal to fuel you for the next day's adventure, try THE FRENCH QUARTER. It is my favorite restaurant in Coz. Mike Slaughter is the owner--yep, he comes from Louisiana--and he runs one fine restaurant!

Have fun in Coz--but that is easy to do!

Joewr

Thanks yall,

I'm looking at booking a weekender group trip in October.

Joe, My wife was born in Orleans parish, so we'll have to try the restaurant.

Thanks again

Tom

Tom,
I've been to cozumel twice,(40 dives), and I consider drift diving there to be" easy chair" diving-get neutral, relax,and go with the flow.
My experience has been : each small group enters together, descends with its' DM, and enjoys the ride. At the time limit, one has been set , the group surfaces. Alternatively, if a buddy team needs to surface earlier, the do so and are picked up by the boat, which has been following "bubble watching"-at a safe distance.
The pick up is something to see- you are in the water watching as the boat captain backs towards you-with pinpoint precision- interesting rather than scary.
While each shop/boat probably has its own variation on this process, most that I saw followed a similar drill.
Hope you enjoy your trip ,

Miked

Joe:
Where is it???? I live in Czml. I will love to eat there.
Tom:
If you need any info about best reefs, dive shops, hotels, You let me know OK? and just like all say, It's great. I love it here. There's diving for all kind of people.
Relax and enjoy, and plse. take care of the coral!!!

Hola, Ayesa,

"The French Quarter" esta en 5a Av. Sur. El numero de telefono es 987-2 63 21. Es un restaurante mas bueno que nada y nos gusta mucho. En la noche del ano nuevo Barbara y yo vamos a comer alli. !Es dificil esperar!

Vaya con Dios, amiga...

Joewr

If we decide to go it will be a group trip with Oceans Window Plano. They stay at the Fiesta Americana. The biggest challenge we will have will be what to do with our two year old girl. The travel agent said they may be able to arrange a baby sitter.

Tom

Tom,
Just be sure to take a safety device with you.
If you drift away from the group and the boat has a hard time finding you, this will come in handy.
I don't want to scare you, but a friend of mine that is an Instructor trainer told me this story.
While in Cozumel with his wife, an instructor, they came up after their dive, and there was no boat in site. The waited 1 hour for the boat to find them. Big bummer! They did not have a safety sausage or anything with them. That's when I went out and bought mine. Right after they told me this story. They said they will never be without one again.
You'll love Coz, and probably not have any problems.
Dive Safe, and
Dive the Planet,
Natasha
:sunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom