Cozumel (Blue XT-Sea) report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm not very good a writing reports so I'll just say we hit all the major spots that you all know and love. Palancar, Columbia (deep and shallow) and Punta Sur blew my mind! Santa Rosa wall was awe inspiring. It was our first time, we love it there and I now know why you all do as well. Incredible diving...just incredible. I'm a huge fan of sponges, caves and swim through so it's safe to assume I was in heaven. Oh yea the 84 degree crystal clear water was nice too. :)

What I'd like to focus on is the superb service we received from Christi and her wonderful company Blue XT-Sea. I'm an experienced diver with hundreds of dives yada yada yada so I have seen many many outfits and I am confident to say that I know what it takes to make a good one. (sorry just wanted to qualify myself before I throw out these remarks)

Boat: Shamu. I'd love to own one just like it. Fast as hell, clean, comfortable and kinda retro. The flooring in boat is superb. I fully dug the boat! It's just perfect for diving.

Captain: Mago. The first words that come to my mind are TOTALLY PRO and next would be FUNNY AS HELL! He is a VERY skilled captain in a place where that REALLY matters. Every time we would surface, there he was. Flawless. Every time I climbed up the latter there he was with a towel, bottled water and a portable shower ready to go. Really folks, amazing service and attention to detail. On a couple occasions Mago couldn't make it so a Captain by the name of Javier took over and I found him to be outstanding as well and a totally cool Guy. Also, Mago is a hell of a magician and he's quick to hit you with a few tricks during the SI. Very entertaining to say the least.

DM: Pedro. Pedro is a first rate DM and really it's safe to say he's as good as it gets. He keeps track of everyone all while finding an astonishing amount critters almost everywhere. Don't hate me but I'm a (gulp) DIR diver so my wife and I did our ascents and profiles a bit differently. After Pedro saw us dive he felt comfortable to let us do "our thing." We never abused his confidence and always kept in contact with him throughout the dive. Honestly his profiles and ascents were damn near DIR anyway. Also, our gear is definitely unusual and a bit complicated if you're unfamiliar with it but after one day he got it...no problem. Our gear was nearly perfect everyday minus a few minor tweaks here and there. I was VERY impressed with Pedro. That Guy is an awesome example of how a DM should be on ALL counts. He's also hilarious, full of energy and a GREAT Guy as well.

Owner: Christi. Cozumels Sweetheart! :) Christi will no longer be known to my wife and I as "Christi from SB that owns Blue XT-Sea" but rather "our friend" she is the nicest, most attentive dive related person I have ever met. She went waaaaaaay beyond the call of duty without ever being asked. You simply will not find better service from an owner. We shared a great meals with her, laughed, joked and became instant friends. She invited us to see her beautiful home and on that occasion we got to meet her dogs and cat as well. We will greatly miss her and we cannot wait to go back to see her, her pets and that beautiful Island again. Two thumbs way up!!!!

Other notes include the fact The Presidente is ALL THAT. It's a fabulous Hotel with gorgeous rooms and impeccable service! It's also very important for me to note that the water pressure was great too. :) Our room overlooked the Scuba Shack and the whole beach. It pains me to think of it right now because I want to back there right now. :) The food at The Hotel is ok but the real star of the trip was Mesa 17! Delicious food! Try the Cheesecake for desert......unless your not into a piece of cheesecake that tastes like it was wrapped in a toasted marshmallow! :11: INCREDIBLE!!! Guidos was insane as well. Excellent food but most of you know that already.

We had a great time and wanted to thank all the SB members that answered all our questions before going.....especially MoodieJeff (who I didn't find "moodie" at all :) )

-Chris

Welcome home. Nice trip report. Mesa 17 and Guido's are two of our absolute favorites.

Hey Chris

Are we going to have trouble getting you back in a drysuit? I forgot you were a Coz noob. How would you compare it to other spots you've been? Better than Lobos Rocks? Is your wife inspired to dive more or is she simply more confirmed in her warm water ways? Hope to see you soon in my new doubles.

Brian Gilpin:
Hey Chris

Are we going to have trouble getting you back in a drysuit? I forgot you were a Coz noob. How would you compare it to other spots you've been? Better than Lobos Rocks? Is your wife inspired to dive more or is she simply more confirmed in her warm water ways? Hope to see you soon in my new doubles.

Hi Buddy!

No, I love my Dry Suit and the whole cold water thing. I'll never get over that. The word is "different" ya know?

I loved Cozumel and I love Lobos Rocks for very different reasons but actually it just comes down to the "wow" factor. Diving between two 100' canyon walls completely covered by Hydro Coral and just about everything else Nor Cal has to offer all while being dive bombed by at least 100 MASSIVE Sea Lions AND having "the land loard" to watch out for was a serious WOW dive. Cozumel on the other hand was like a flight through heaven. Absolutely gorgeous. Cozumel was like diving in a gigantic aquarium with really cool swim throughs! :)

-Chris

CALI68:
I'm not very good a writing reports...
LIAR!

Nice report, Chris. Thanks!

Brian Gilpin:
Are we going to have trouble getting you back in a drysuit?

I don't know bud, looks like your turning into a warm water diver. :11: First Cozumel, then Maui. :06: Perhaps you have to reclaim your Channel Islands liveaboard spot to prove me wrong. :wink:

Just kidding, great report Chris. I'll make you type up the trip report the next time we go diving based on the quality of this one. Gets me salivating for my trip to Coz in 2 weeks. Let's get out there when I get back, I'll need some diving doubles tips. You too, DivemasterBIG, make the trek down and let's dive.

Mel

melfox26:
I don't know bud, looks like your turning into a warm water diver. :11: First Cozumel, then Maui. :06: Perhaps you have to reclaim your Channel Islands liveaboard spot to prove me wrong. :wink:

Just kidding, great report Chris. I'll make you type up the trip report the next time we go diving based on the quality of this one. Gets me salivating for my trip to Coz in 2 weeks. Let's get out there when I get back, I'll need some diving doubles tips. You too, DivemasterBIG, make the trek down and let's dive.

Mel

You bet Mel! Let's get out there real soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom