Cozumel Cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I understand that there are Cenotes on island. Are they divable and if so, do any of the Ops go there?

Otter:
I understand that there are Cenotes on island. Are they divable and if so, do any of the Ops go there?

There are cenotes for cave divers. None of them are part of anyones regular schedule. Cenotes are always something that has to be arranged with the op. The cenotes on the mainland are the ones suitable for non cave divers. Most any Cozumel op can make arrangements for you or you can contact Dennis of Diablo divers directly at info@diablodivers.com

Otter, if you are cave certified and want to dive the Cozumel cenotes, get in touch with German Yanez from Yucatech Expeditions www.yucatech.net

I highly reccomend German and Yucatech too. He has been around Cozumel for a while. You have to be Cave Certified to dive in a cave in Cozumel. There are no cavern zones or snorkeling zones in the Cozumel Cenotes.

I took the last part of my Cave classes from German in Cozumel. I always wanted an option to continue diving when a "Norte" blows in.

Jim

Umm . . . I have to disagree. There are cavern zones on the island, because HBDiveGirl and Kevrumbo took their cavern class with German on Cozumel.

My mistake for not being clear .

German has been on the island for many years and has explored the cenotes extensively. I should have phrased my statement, "commercial cenote tours are not done in Cozumel". I assumed the original poster was inquiring about that because if he was a Cave certified diver he would be posting it in the appropriate forum.

The general knowledge about "cenote diving" is what is offered on the mainland to openwater divers. That caves/cenotes in Cozumel are not appropriate for that type of diving.

I realize that German teaches in Cozumel and that the Cavern course is part of the cave diving courses he teaches. I also know that he prefers to teach the first part of his courses on the mainland.

Jim

eelpout:
My mistake for not being clear .

German has been on the island for many years and has explored the cenotes extensively. I should have phrased my statement, "commercial cenote tours are not done in Cozumel". I assumed the original poster was inquiring about that because if he was a Cave certified diver he would be posting it in the appropriate forum.

The general knowledge about "cenote diving" is what is offered on the mainland to openwater divers. That caves/cenotes in Cozumel are not appropriate for that type of diving.

I realize that German teaches in Cozumel and that the Cavern course is part of the cave diving courses he teaches. I also know that he prefers to teach the first part of his courses on the mainland.

Jim

Perfectly explained. I too was vague in my first reply...I was in a hurry :)

For cave divers that want to do cave dives on the island or who want to take a cave course, I also highly recommend German Yanez.

For those who are not cave certified and would like to do a cavern dive, the mainland is the place for that. For this, I typically recommend Dennis of Diablo Divers. His base of operations is on the mainland which makes it very convenient. HOwever, any Coz operator can put you in touch with a cenote tour and some have their own guides that they will send you across with.

Thanks. I am not Cave Certified but have been in the 'cavern zone' of the mainland cenotes -- although at times, I question how 'cavern' like it was :)

Looks like the mainland is what I need -- maybe next trip.

Did you try our :search: feature...? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom