Cozumel chamber rides without DAN coverage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Lee

Contributor
Reaction score
I talked with a person whose spouse took multiple chamber rides. They did not have DAN coverage but apparently their Allianz coverage took care of the significant bill. That is not confirmed and I am curious if anyone has used Allianz to cover chamber rides and associated medical care.

I talked with a person whose spouse took multiple chamber rides. They did not have DAN coverage but apparently their Allianz coverage took care of the significant bill. That is not confirmed and I am curious if anyone has used Allianz to cover chamber rides and associated medical care.
Alot of travel insurance will cover recreation SCUBA up to certain depth limits (sorry tech divers). Look like they cover to 30 meter Scuba diving | Allianz Global Assistance. download the policy

I think Geoblue also does recreation diving at a little deaper ( i think) .

I've seen half a dozen insurance plans cover chamber rides in Cozumel, DAN is easier, but as long as the insurance confirms they are paying, it's fairly smooth. Out of pocket chamber rides in a for profit healthcare system as a tourist is costly. Check with your insurance if they only do reimbursements. An emergency medical fund would have helped some stressed out spouses... Or just buy DAN insurance, compared to a dive vacation it's a negligible expense for a hassle free insurance provider.

(Not a DAN employee)

Cameron

My preferred Trip Insurance covers scuba diving accidents & chamber rides, and I always take it when I leave the country. Many do; some don't. Exclusions on mine include "scuba diving if the depth exceeds 120 feet (40 meters) or if You are not certified to dive and a dive master is not present during the dive."

I keep my DAN dive insurance tho. I travel alone so wouldn't have a spouse, significant other, or buddy to oversee any injuries, and figure DAN is more readily accepted for payment.

Last edited:
I've seen half a dozen insurance plans cover chamber rides in Cozumel, DAN is easier, but as long as the insurance confirms they are paying, it's fairly smooth. Out of pocket chamber rides in a for profit healthcare system as a tourist is costly. Check with your insurance if they only do reimbursements. An emergency medical fund would have helped some stressed out spouses... Or just buy DAN insurance, compared to a dive vacation it's a negligible expense for a hassle free insurance provider.

I agree with all of that. DAN seems hassle-free and so offers peace of mind. Yet I continue to be troubled by the thought that DAN likes to give the false impression that one needs DAN because ordinary health insurance policies never cover chamber treatments.

Some health insurance companies and travel insurance companies sometimes stipulate absolute depth limits (regardless of your certification) while others have depth limits relative to your certification, maximum coverage amounts for diving, and/or vary in how they expect you to pay...e.g., you pay up front, reimbursed later, etc. Just keep that in mind and read the fine print then decide. Some health insurance companies have different coverage for overseas vs domestic coverage so be sure to look at that (maximum amounts, deductible amounts, coverage %). Some cover 100% for emergency but in reading the fine print on my health insurance policy with UHC, it seems that what is considered an emergency can be quite subjective to whoever is looking at your claim.

There are many things to think about here but in the end, I like having DAN. Their medical advice is helpful, they pull through when issues arise, they have great connections to chambers and are knowledgeable in dive specific accidents. They are easy to reach in an emergency and can help arrange everything quickly without a doubt that you will be covered vs. going through my regular health insurance or travel insurance that does not specialize in dive accidents. It's good for peace of mind for me. At the very least, good benefits come with membership and having a dive accident policy, as well as the money going towards a lot of research and a good read (Alert Diver) sent to me every now and then. :)

I would think this applies to more than just Cozumel but from a worlwide perspective, I still trust DAN more than anyone else on the matter (dive accidents).

Alot of travel insurance will cover recreation SCUBA up to certain depth limits (sorry tech divers). Look like they cover to 30 meter Scuba diving | Allianz Global Assistance. download the policy

I think Geoblue also does recreation diving at a little deaper ( i think) .

My current insurrance do cover recreation scuba but do not cover hyperbaric chamber treatment.
May I suggest you to check that with them cause I was also surprise and don't understood it.

Please don't post the same thread multiple times.

Its considered spamming.

Thank you for your internet posting advice.

1) The original dropped two essential words in the title.

2) I could not edit the original title

3) I reposted with the correct title and asked that the first one be deleted

Last edited:
Thank you for your internet posting advice.

1) The original dropped two essential words in the title.

2) I could not edit the original title

3) I reposted with the correct title and asked that the first one be deleted

4) Happy?

5) I reported the post where the request to delete was, in case the mods hadn't seen it.

I've always purchased trip insurance. Some policies specifically exclude diving, some do not address the activity at all, while others stipulate depth restrictions, (usually 130', less frequently 120'), along with being certified to dive, and accompanied by a dm.

Provided the stipulations are met, I cannot fathom a situation where payment would be refused. Nearly all policies guarantee that payment will be wired immediately to secure your admission into a facility - even if the health coverage is secondary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom