Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is your exact thoughts that are spreading the pandemic. Just wearing masks on a flight does NOT prevent the spread of covid. it may help reduce it somewhat but people are taking masks off in flight to eat etc. airline personnel DO have covid. people at the grocery store have it. its even more widespread in mexico than the usa.

if you are old and overweight itll easily kill you.

im 6 ft 2 in great shape and not near 60 but even I know it can still kill me. will it? likely not but it can give you life long lung and heart problems both of which can hurt your scuba diving enjoyment.

and cozumel has ZERO space for tourists flying in on their ventilators. You are basically killing people there if you have to go on a ventilator because someone else will die for your vacation experience during a world wide pandemic.
The sky is falling! It’s safer here than in your home town...do not venture out for any reasons.

Curfew is 10pm and not really being enforced.

Don't let the looks of what you see in the resorts or on Melgar fool you
Hey chuck, seems every restaurant we visited closed up by 10 and not a taxi could be found after this time? We reluctantly depart tomorrow, but I’m storing my Gear here for the first time since we’ll be returning shortly...look forward to another meal with you.

Best,

Curfew is 10pm and not really being enforced.

Don't let the looks of what you see in the resorts or on Melgar fool you
The further back from the centro district you get the less compliant it becomes. The economic stress is profound in the neighborhoods and grows as you go inland. The cost of electricity in the best of times is exorbitant and in the current economic stress folks sit on their porches / steps and hope to catch a breeze, AC turned off. Masks on outside is a great idea from an airconditioned office. Try it sustained 95F but with humidity feels like 105F. A couple mornings this week I was sweating so bad at the marina in the morning after about 10 minutes my paper surgical mask was so saturated I could not breath through it. I rotated three to keep up a good, compliant, face.
Got back to DFW tonight, want to go back to Cozumel where it is cooler o_O

This guy was a Doctor at IMSS here in Cozumel. 42 years old, from Peru, no pre existing conditions - he died yesterday in Playa because there were no ventilators available for him here in Cozumel. Dr. Garavito is not related to or the same person as Dr Carlos Herrera (Dr Carlos saved my mother in law last November) but Dr Garavito was beloved on the island for his tireless work within the social hospitals.

This is per a speech the mayor gave the other night: Cozumel averages 360 deaths per year or about 30 per month. In seven months, we should have recorded roughly 210 but yet there has been 500 recorded. So somewhere somehow there has been an extra 300 deaths this year so far but yet the official tally only shows 45.

View attachment 604915
This is tragic. My thoughts & prayers are with the people of Cozumel.

Lots of things could kill you. No one has been recovered from covid for more than 6 months so any speculation about life long problems is just that. Ventilators have proven to be ineffective. If you have to go on a ventilator you are as good as dead already.

Ventilators were improperly used early on due to following protocols for other illnesses that were not appropriate for Covid19. Make no mistake however, ventilators saved many lives. My neighbors mom was put on a ventilator twice as a measure of last resort. It saved her life twice. She is at home recovering now. My neighbor is grateful to still have her mother alive.

My friend is on the mend from COVID. She works at the Coz Airport. (yeah....) You probably didn't see her when you came through....

We were chatting and she was feeling bad. I listened to her symptoms and said sounds like COVID to me. Found her a deal.

She went to International for the rapid antibody test. Think 950 pesos with a Dr. consult. Thats a deal, huh? (I paid $50 for a rapid test with no Dr at Gov discount) Should have taken a couple hours at most, but they were backed up on Dr. visits, so she got tested and then had to come back like 4 hours later for her positivo.

Initially of course not much treatment. Prevailing conventional wisdom is get the parasite med that Peru bought. I guess its the hydroxy of latin america. They couldn't find any as what Peru didn't buy, everyone else did....

Then she had more trouble and pain breathing and went back. Sent me a pic of the xray with that whole COVID pneumonia 'ground glass'. They gave her a z pack and some other crap.

Got her to get a pulse ox so she could see that her sats were up and she wasn't actually dying. That made her feel better.

Few days later, she went back for another xray and the covid pneumonia was gone pretty much.

Oh, and for her 'MX Social Security' payments for time off work she had to go to the IMSS office, because just sending a letter from the private hospital doc wasn't good enough.

And of course when she get there, its 'oh you have COVID and need time off? Please sit in the waiting room for hours until we handle your case." Cuz that makes sense. I mean hours... in the waiting room.... with the COVID.....

And then they approved a tiny bit of time off. Just so maybe she isn't coughing covid on people, but not enough to actually feel better. Thankfully her employer was nicer or at least didnt want her around so soon...

Finally she got the followup rapid test and found nothing active, just the antiobodies from past COVID.

And you know she doesnt have a car or anything. I never asked her HOW she got back and forth. Prob a taxi since she felt terrible or maybe a collectivo? Make me wonder how all the other COVID people get to and from....

Anyway, she is on the mend....

My friend is missing in action. She's been suffering since early March. She told us a week ago that she'd come down with yet again another covid related pneumonia. Now silence. I don't know what to think. Hopefully she is just resting to try to get over this but she has lots of residual problems from the covid, not just her lungs, her heart, neuro and a bunch of stuff.

My friend is missing in action. She's been suffering since early March. She told us a week ago that she'd come down with yet again another covid related pneumonia. Now silence. I don't know what to think. Hopefully she is just resting to try to get over this but she has lots of residual problems from the covid, not just her lungs, her heart, neuro and a bunch of stuff.

Is she from Coz?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom