Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a mask. It's really not that hard; I don't understand why anyone has a problem with it.

I will speak for myself. I have a problem with it because is is being mandated by governments without adequate due diligence or process. It seems to me to be a clumsy knee-jerk reaction. Science says one thing over there, another over here, one thing yesterday, another today. No one can claim to be certain of the efficacy. It falls into the "well, it can't hurt" category for me, which is insufficient for the criminalization of something I see as personal. I am also very wary of the open-endedness of this. Wear a mask until when? Until what goal has been achieved? Forever? Until a vaccine has been developed and adequately tested for long term effectiveness and for side-effects? This takes years. And then will this vaccine be mandatory? Repetitive? And then what happens with the next virus? Same process; lockdowns, distancing, masks, lengthly antidote research? More relevant questions that thus far have no answers being provided. There also seems to be very little discussion from those mandating these measures on herd immunity and personal health. I wear one only when I have to; buying groceries, and working where it has been implemented as a regulation; a man needs to eat and work. No way I am getting on an airplane to Coz or anywhere until the masks are gone or there is real-time testing at departure airports. Far too many unknowns for me to get into a tight, enclosed space with recirculated air and dozens of strangers, with fingers crossed that a piece of cloth on the face is sufficient.

I will speak for myself. I have a problem with it because is is being mandated by governments without adequate due diligence or process. It seems to me to be a clumsy knee-jerk reaction. Science says one thing over there, another over here, one thing yesterday, another today. No one can claim to be certain of the efficacy. It falls into the "well, it can't hurt" category for me, which is insufficient for the criminalization of something I see as personal. I am also very wary of the open-endedness of this. Wear a mask until when? Until what goal has been achieved? Forever? Until a vaccine has been developed and adequately tested for long term effectiveness and for side-effects? This takes years. And then will this vaccine be mandatory? Repetitive? And then what happens with the next virus? Same process; lockdowns, distancing, masks, lengthly antidote research? More relevant questions that thus far have no answers being provided. There also seems to be very little discussion from those mandating these measures on herd immunity and personal health. I wear one only when I have to; buying groceries, and working where it has been implemented as a regulation; a man needs to eat and work. No way I am getting on an airplane to Coz or anywhere until the masks are gone or there is real-time testing at departure airports. Far too many unknowns for me to get into a tight, enclosed space with recirculated air and dozens of strangers, with fingers crossed that a piece of cloth on the face is sufficient.
Whats your answer? You have plenty of concerns...

I Far too many unknowns for me to get into a tight, enclosed space with recirculated air and dozens of strangers, with fingers crossed that a piece of cloth on the face is sufficient.

but dude.... that’s the reason for the mandate...because there are far too many unknowns at the moment that we are trying to work out. Why do some get the vid and some don’t?, why do some croak within days and some could run a marathon? ...and until that happens, until we work that out...’the unknowns’, the general desire is for people to just wear it so we can ‘sort of’ get back to some normalcy.because we can’t pause life anymore until it reaches the end .....like if there is a gas leak in your house and a gas fitter wears breathing apparatus until they work out where the gas leak is... ‘well when can I take it off?’ Etc... when we find the gas leak...it isn’t rocket science.

and yes, I know that’s not how they search for gas leaks...but I couldn’t come up with another stupid, but valid analogy on the fly

f&ck me though... I swore I wouldn’t include myself in any more redundant covid chat.......I’m off to Egypt...

Science says one thing over there, another over here, one thing yesterday, another today.
No, science consistently says that masks suppress the spread of the disease. They keep infected people from transmitting it more effectively than they keep uninfected people from getting it, but infected people don't know they have it until after they have already been spreading it. Science hasn't attached hard numbers to either of those effects because it is new to all of us and extensive double blind studies haven't been done, but no one reputable in the scientific and medical communities disputes that the effects are real.

Whats your answer? You have plenty of concerns...

No answers exactly, too many unknowns, but a few instincts. I will wait a few more weeks to see if my concerns become addressed, and monitor the inertia of the skeptic community. Looking forward to a proper post-mortem of the measures that those in power took, to learn from for the future, and perhaps for some accountability.

No, science consistently says that masks suppress the spread of the disease. They keep infected people from transmitting it more effectively than they keep uninfected people from getting it, but infected people don't know they have it until after they have already been spreading it. Science hasn't attached hard numbers to either of those effects because it is new to all of us and extensive double blind studies haven't been done, but no one reputable in the scientific and medical communities disputes that the effects are real.
How come science you don't agree with needs double blind studies?

How come science you don't agree with needs double blind studies?

Don't most trials need double blind studies to be valid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom