Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang, that's an 8½% fatality rate while the US is closer to 2½%. I wonder.

In the US, the CDC finally decided to ask people to wear masks, and I suspect that this will be a big boost in prevention. I think they'll do more to slow infected people from spreading germs than protecting the uninfected.
That may be more reflective of the general lack of testing than a truly higher mortality rate here. I'm not aware of any general testing centers, so I assume all the reported cases are coming from clinics and hospitals, leaving many cases unreported.

The Ministry of Health here said, a couple of days ago, that masks aren't required unless you're ill and showing symptoms. However I noticed that today they are explaining how to properly wear a mask, if one chooses to do so, so I don't know if that's indicative of a shift along the lines of what the CDC is recommending. That advise is sorely needed - I see a lot of people pulling masks up and down as people pass by, or with their nose uncovered. It's sad to see the money these folks are wasting, and masks are a bit expensive and hard to find here right now. I ordered some from Mercado Libre that are supposed to be here next week; we'll see how good the quality is.

As of April 1 Mexico had done 11,000 tests with 1200 of them positive. That shows that 11% of the people in Mexico are infected?
No, it shows that 11% of tested are infected. They only test those presenting symptoms.

Try to keep up, this is scuba board, nothing is related.

With Covid-19 we're all related. What is happening in one part of the world is relevant to all parts of the world. Part of the problem we all now have is it was considered a China problem in January and nobody really prepared.

And the approaches that other places are trying and the results are very related to other places.

No, it shows that 11% of tested are infected. They only test those presenting symptoms.
Yes, and in fact only those showing very bad symptoms, and only part of those. Which may have something to do with the fatality rate.

Z_scubaboard_Mexico_Cozumel.jpg

Try to keep up, this is scuba board, nothing is related.
Okay - I'll try to "keep up"
:poke::yeahbaby::acclaim:

...masks are a bit expensive and hard to find here right now. I ordered some from Mercado Libre that are supposed to be here next week; we'll see how good the quality is.

Let me know if they make it. I guess now is not a good time to tell you that I ordered something via mercado libre and the next day my cc was compromised. A new one is on its way. Let me know if the quality is any good. I bought some from Farmacia Dori - they are delicate - so you can only wear them 2 or 3x (cleaning them after wear) before they start to fall apart.

Yes, the Ministry of Health also said to expect that the numbers are more like 8x what we are seeing. And Dandy's right. They are only testing ones with severe symptoms and not all of them at that. Not enough tests at the moment.

The woman who died yesterday was Pedro Pablo's (my Dm of 16+ years) sister-in-law (his wife Elizabeth's sister) - and it was confirmed complications from COVID-19

OMG Christi. I don't know how I missed this. I didn't join the conversation until later. I'm just heartbroken for Pedro and his family!! I'm so sorry.
I feel helpless. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Would you PLEASE, PLEASE send my sympathies to him and let me know how I can send a message of sympathy to the family? Please message me when you can. This is terrible news. My deepest sympathies.

masks are a bit expensive and hard to find here right now.
I really suspect that most do little for the wearer, but can help protect those around the masked person. I wear a bandana even tho I am asymptomatic to reduce the chance I may expose others while I am incubating. Mostly I am just hiding at home and binging Netflix.

Or maybe, follow through with the plan of "flattening the curve" without suggesting that it is a cure for anything except overloading the health care system.
The authorities have always been pretty careful to say that these measures are designed to slow the spread of the disease, which is, of course (as you say), to try to keep from overloading the health care system. I've never thought it was anything else, from a first order perspective. The second order effects make it less likely that any given individual contracts the disease, but if you were to be somewhere where a lot of people are and you are the only one constantly washing your hands, it won't give you much protection.

Yes, the Ministry of Health also said to expect that the numbers are more like 8x what we are seeing. And Dandy's right. They are only testing ones with severe symptoms and not all of them at that. Not enough tests at the moment.

I am from South Louisiana where the cockroaches outnumber humans by several orders of magnitude; a common saying there is that if you see a roach in your kitchen there are 100 more of them in hiding. I suppose COVID-19 is similar; for every confirmed case there are likely many more that have gone undiagnosed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom