Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick question for anyone who has flown from the U.S. to Cancun recently, how full has your flight been? I have a flight booked on Southwest in July, it's coming up fairly soon, and I'll probably cancel if the flight is anywhere near full. I'll contact SW to ask about it, but I thought I'd also get some general idea from folks flying these days.
Well, there's this: Airline Cleanliness and Cleaning Standards | Southwest Airlines

Quick question for anyone who has flown from the U.S. to Cancun recently, how full has your flight been? I have a flight booked on Southwest in July, it's coming up fairly soon, and I'll probably cancel if the flight is anywhere near full. I'll contact SW to ask about it, but I thought I'd also get some general idea from folks flying these days.

Southwest has announced that the middle seats will remain open through September 30.

Southwest has announced that the middle seats will remain open through September 30.
And I am awaiting the news story about the couple who insist on setting together with the wife in the middle seat, leading to departure delays, airport police, etc.

And I am awaiting the news story about the couple who insist on setting together with the wife in the middle seat, leading to departure delays, airport police, etc.

From the link I posted:
  • Middle seats open through at least September 30 to provide Customers more personal space onboard.
    • Customers can pick their seat—if you’re traveling together, you’re welcome to sit together.

From the link I posted:
  • Middle seats open through at least September 30 to provide Customers more personal space onboard.
    • Customers can pick their seat—if you’re traveling together, you’re welcome to sit together.
So I could get stuck between the widow and that couple. Super. I'll carry a cane and preboard.

They can have it... the couple can have an entire row of three seats to use as they wish.

So I could get stuck between the widow and that couple. Super. I'll carry a cane and preboard.

A couple that has to sit together should be given an aisle and window seat in the same row. Then they can do whatever they like with the entire row. Well... within the boundaries of socially acceptable behavior.

You can choose a different row. Everyone happy.

A couple that has to sit together should be given an aisle and window seat in the same row. Then they can do whatever they like with the entire row. Well... within the boundaries of socially acceptable behavior.

You can choose a different row. Everyone happy.
Did you know that Southwest does not assign seats? If they are allowed to board early, they can grab a row, fine. If they board in the last group, then they'll probably ask others to move. And as stressful as flying is these days, I can imagine friction possibly leading to a why-not outburst.

If I were boarded in the last group and there were no aisle seats and only one window seat available by them, I'd be stuck. That should not happen if they are only booking 2/3s of the seats, life is what happens in spite of plans.

SW needs to start assigning seats and move away from their cattle mentality.

Did you know that Southwest does not assign seats? If they are allowed to board early, they can grab a row, fine. If they board in the last group, then they'll probably ask others to move. And as stressful as flying is these days, I can imagine friction possibly leading to a why-not outburst.

If I were boarded in the last group and there were no aisle seats and only one window seat available by them, I'd be stuck. That should not happen if they are only booking 2/3s of the seats, life is what happens in spite of plans.

I think your visualization of the seating arrangements is not accurate. If the couple were sitting in the same row, there would not be any available seats in that row. So there could not be a window seat available by them. If they boarded last and there was not an entire row for them to sit next to each other, they could ask someone to move, but it only works if that person moving creates an empty row.

I called them (SW, not this mythical couple that can't stand being apart from each other) and they said they are booking about 90 seats on a 737 fitted with 144 passenger seats. Two segments of my flights are near that 90 seat limit. This means with near 100 people onbard, statistically there will likely be someone with the virus. Hopefully every person on that flight understands this and acts accordingly. I haven't decided yet whether to cancel. It doesn't get any better later in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom