Cozumel Dive Op Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven007374

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys,

I will be heading to Cozumel for the first time next week and i am still having a problem finding the right dive shop for me. there are endless choices and its kind of confusing as to who i should use and who i should stay away from. i a will be staying at the Park Royal Resort and want to dive 6 out of the 9 days i will be there. i think i narrowed it down to either Aldora or Dive with Martin. I am looking for a smaller more personal kind of dive experience and definately dont want more then 6-8 divers. i also want to get my night diver specialty while im there. i would like to spend around $80/day for a 2 tank dive + additional $$ for nitrox. If they are the best OP in town, i wouldnt mind paying a bit more. i would also like a dive op that would rinse and store my gear for me (cuz im lazy and on vacation) but its not a necessity. i have my AOW and Nitrox cert, but am a newer diver and i am looking for an excellent dive experience and a staff that are all about taking care of thier customers. Can some one help me choose the best dive op for my needs?

thanks for the help guys!

I use Aldora, in fact just got off the boat after a great night dive. They offer personal service and take good care of your gear and will group you with like abilities. As for other ops I couldn't comment as I've only dove with Aldora.

Check out scuba shack, next door to Earnesto's, across from your hotel. I dive with them all the time. They should meet all your needs.

Quite a difference on the two dive ops you selected: one of the priciest and one of the cheapest, but - I bet you have a great time either way.

The two Dive Ops you narrowed it down to just happen to be the two I have the most experience with. If I have the choice in Dive Op, I will always go with Aldora. I REALLY, REALLY like the Steel 120 tanks, not just for the extra air, but also for the much better bouyancy characteristics of the Steel Tank; because it's heavier, I need less weight to go down, AND it does not get positively bouyant when it gets to 500-700 psi, as the AL tanks do. I also really like the long SI on the beach at a beach club. Lots of time to outgas and relax means longer bottom time for second dive. BUT, most of my recent trips to Coz have been group outings, where the organizer has a very long-time relationship with Dive with Martin, and I've done quite a few dives with them with no complaints. It is the difference between the Mercedes Dive Op (Aldora) and the basic Ford (Dive with Martin). You'll get much longer dives with Aldora, more bottom time, more personal service, and great DMs. But if the budget is a consideration, and you are just not into 90 minute or longer dives, DWM is a perfectly acceptable alternative, and both Miguel Estrella and Roberto are very competent DMs - you'll enjoy your diving either way.

BTW, I did not mean to imply anything negative at all when I described Aldora's DMs as "great" and Miguel and Roberto as "very competent." I've had some great dives with both Miguel and Roberto, and both will take good care of the group and show you things you would have missed on your own.

Last edited:
Aldora was the first of the 'valet' operators in Cozumel. Their model was to provide high capacity steel tanks so their bottom times are long, fast 6 pack boats and handling gear overnight. Sometimes bottom times are more than double operators diving aluminum 80's, our longest bottom time was 118 minutes on 55' dive at Yucab in 2003. Long bottom times mean long SI's at a beach club to off gas before the 2nd dive. Liquid Blue and Living Underwater were both started by ex Aldora dive masters and have followed the Aldora model. You can't go wrong with any of these three steel tank choices.

If you are OK diving an Al 80, look at Christy's operation, Blue XTsea, Raul Platas at Bottom Time or Eduardo at Sea Robin.

hmmm.... well I have no problem at all getting into deco trouble on an Al 80. so a 120 would really not help me at all unless I was planning a deco dive. maybe as new divers you might appreciate the 120s and I am certain that DWM can get them for you if you let them know in advance since almost everyone on the island uses the same air fill company. I have personally seen al 100s on their boats before.

if you are counting votes, +1 for DWM.

+1 for Aldora.

I have gone diving with both ops. As others have stated, Aldora is a full-service operation, while DWM is more the basic no-frills type of experience. Personally, I would describe DWM as "ok". I have a friend who swears by DWM, and they are probably a good choice if you are on a budget. Aldora, on the other hand, is tough to beat on a number of levels, if you don’t mind spending a little extra. From service, to staff, to bottom time, to boats, to range of operation, and even accommodation, they are arguably at the top, if not the top operator on the island.

You don't necessarily have to dive with the same op each day. If you are still in doubt, book a dive with each and make your own decision.

I generally dive with Bottom Time Divers (Raul Platas). His dive op satifies all your listed requirements. He is very good at finding things underwater (big and small). He can get AL100 tanks (as most can) but he uses mostly AL80's. 99% of my dives with him are min 60 minutes up to 80 minutes depending on depth and type of dive. His price is below what you listed. Other ops I have dived with and talked about in the thread are Blue Xtsea and Living Underwater (Steel 120's). They should satisfy your requirements but check with them first. I have friends that use Aldora and are very satisfied. They are just above your price. Scuba with Alison is also an option. Friends that dive with us and Raul also use Alison. I am not sure on the gear wash and storage. Ask her. I have not used Dive with Martin but have heard good things. Staying at Park Royal might be an issue for those ops that use the Caleta (harbor) as it is south of you. Some ops might not want to bring their boat up north then back south to the dive sites (if that is where you will diving). However the Caleta is not far from Park Royal so they may do it. I would definitely ask the op if they will pick you up near your hotel. If you have to use a taxi, I can't say what the cost of a taxi would be especially due to zone fares. If you have your own vehicle then no worries. As you are leaving next week, I would definitely contact dive ops ASAP to ensure you have a spot on the boat(s). (Sorry for the run on paragraph - the text editor isn't recognizing the returns despite my attempts at editing it).

Back
Top Bottom