Cozumel Dive Trip Hotel Cozumel??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Good Afternoon,
I'm debating booking a trip with my LDS to go to Cozumel in June. Although it would be fun to go with the group they are staying at the Hotel Cozumel. I pulled it up on travel advisor and got REALLY mixed reviews, from the pictures are decieving and the Hotel is not even on the water, to rooms being dirty, to best vacation I've ever had. Has any of you ever stayed there? And how is the diving if they are not even on the water? Can you still shore dive? Do you have to walk your gear a mile to get to the water or boat? Any info would be appreciated. If I decide not to go with the group I may book my own trip any recommendations on were to stay if I go this route? Was halfway looking at the Occidental Allegro or Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel.
Thanks
David

Well, I'm a dedicated Blue Angel/Caribe Blu Hotel fan...

but I can tell you that Hotel Cozumel is just across the road from the ocean. Of the folks I know personally who've stayed there, there are also mixed reviews. YMMV it seems.

kari

DavidHickey:
Good Afternoon,
I'm debating booking a trip with my LDS to go to Cozumel in June. Although it would be fun to go with the group they are staying at the Hotel Cozumel. I pulled it up on travel advisor and got REALLY mixed reviews, from the pictures are decieving and the Hotel is not even on the water, to rooms being dirty, to best vacation I've ever had. Has any of you ever stayed there? And how is the diving if they are not even on the water? Can you still shore dive? Do you have to walk your gear a mile to get to the water or boat? Any info would be appreciated. If I decide not to go with the group I may book my own trip any recommendations on were to stay if I go this route? Was halfway looking at the Occidental Allegro or Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel.
Thanks
David

The HC is right across the street from the water. I've never stayed there, but folks I know who have all say that it's OK. The food has the rep of being not so good, but it's really close to town and all the restaurants there. The Allegro and the Grand are 15 miles or so south of town; too far to commute for dinner. You would probably never see the rest of your group if you stayed down there.

We have stayed there the last 6 times to Coz....it suits us....largest pool on the island has a small beach club across the street which is connected by an under ground tunnel....also restuarant on beach side...food is ok better in town....rooms we have had have always been clean and cold no complaints....the poolside activities get old but almost all resorts with a pool have some sort of deal like that....pier is connected to beach club also gear lockers and rinse tanks there for hotel guest....our op keeps our gear so all we have to schlepp to the room is our wetsuits....shore diving is ok not good but then in Coz it is not know for shore diving....pm me if you have any questions that I have not answered...have fun

ggunn:
The Allegro and the Grand are 15 miles or so south of town

I agree that thye seem that far down and that they are an expensive taxi ride into town and back, but the distance from town to these hotels is actually about half that distance.

From town to these two hotels is actually right at 9 miles (15km)

In case you think I'm simply estimating, I'm not. Downtown is at the 3km marker and Cedral (same area more or less as these hotels) is at the 18km marker

Christi:
I agree that thye seem that far down and that they are an expensive taxi ride into town and back, but the distance from town to these hotels is actually about half that distance.

From town to these two hotels is actually right at 9 miles (15km)

In case you think I'm simply estimating, I'm not. Downtown is at the 3km marker and Cedral (same area more or less as these hotels) is at the 18km marker

Kilometers, right. Darn units are always messing me up. Remember the Mars mission that augered in because one engineer meant pounds and another thought he meant kilos? ;^)

To say Hotel Cozumel is not on the ocean is misleading. Hotel Cozumel is waterfront property that spans both sides of the main highway. The dive pier, dive lockers/shop, hot tub, sandy "beach", and lunch restaurant are on the waterfront side of the road. The main building containing the rooms, dinner restaurant, and pool are on the inland side of the highway. There is a hallway tunnel that goes beneath the street connecting the main lobby to the waterfront restaurant.

The diving is very convenient. The dive lockers are right next to the pier. There are showers and rinse tanks next to the lockers. There is shore diving and snorkeling right beside the pier.

It's a 3 star hotel, don't expect a 5 star Hilton. I haven't seen any pictures that are "deceiving". Of course, every hotel website shows you the pictures they took right when the resort was newly opened or remodeled. The building isn't new anymore and things aren't scrubbed to a shine. But I wouldn't call my room "dirty". The sheets were clean, the floors were clean, the plumbing worked, no bugs or mold, etc.

Most complaints have been about the food but I was satisfied. But then, I'm a buffet guy anyway and don't go on vacation for the purposes of fine dining. I can't imagine anything much fresher or tastier than having a chef grill fajitas or burgers to order right in front of me.

Check out the Barracuda Hotel.......Inexpensive, on the waterfront and close to town

I guess it's what type of trip you are looking for. I've stayed there (New Years last year) and thought it was pretty good overall. Rooms were clean and kept up reasonably well. Pool is great. A/C worked well...always a must. It's very convenient for diving as they have a dock and dive shop with lockers right on the property....ocean side of the road with their "beach club". It seems a good place for small kids as well as they have activities throughout the day. And it's close enough to town to walk to the shops/restaurants. The downsides for me were the noise around the pool til fairly late at night....kept us awake in our room a bit. The food was only average but that seems typical of an AI in my experience.

Personally, I recommend it to most folks except the few I know who want 4 or 5 star type accommodations. It's not super luxurious or anything.

By the way, if you're worried about Hotel Cozumel being below your standards, then the Barracuda will be WAY below those same standards. It doesn't compare well at all which is why it's cheaper.

Mark

We have stayed at HC a number of times. The last being in 2-07. We like it for the following reasons:
1. Walking distance to town
2. Reasonable price
3. Lockers & Rinse pool & Tank next to pier where any other dive op can pick you up.
4. Beach restaurant
5. Big pool & Jacuzzi
6. Relatively clean
7. All inclusive option
8. Food better than in the past but still buffet.
9. Not crowded
10. Well run
11. Newer and well maintained compared to others in he general area.

There may be hotels that meet the above criteria better than this one but we are not aware of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom