Cozumel-Diver lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just discussed this at dinner 3 weeks ago when we dove together. I asked my son's SSI instructor why this was not done, his replied is "we have no way of creating a free flowing regulator", an implication that it might not even be taught at a higher lever.

What's wrong with holding the purge button down? That's a pretty scary response from an instructor...

I disagree with point A. Not 99% if shops obeyed this rule. I believe we had between 6 and 10 divers on most dives with 1 DM in cozumel.

I thought he was referring to that one location specifically, rather than 1 DM to 6 divers on every dive site.

NOBODY takes 18 divers to punta sur in 1 group! So forget that. 99% ot the shops run 1 guide for every 6 divers.

I know Betsy and have for many years and she is RIGHT. Most of the post I have read are so far from reality it is not funny. I don't know where to begin. I write and erase and wright again. NOBODY takes 18 divers to punta sur in 1 group! So forget that. 99% ot the shops run 1 guide for every 6 divers. No Capitan will let a diver go down after surfacing at Punta Sur. If you are seperated from the group the dive is over. And this post " It could have been as simple as a new regulator that failed. " I do believe free flowing regulator was a part of your certification.... ( sorry for the sarcasim... ) Where were you on that day??
Cozumel has the right to investigate what happened and will let people know the results when they have determined them. Quit trying to show "what you know". It really shows what you don't.

Begin at the beginning, OK? If you KNOW something, post what you know that refutes speculation. As it is, you are doing the same thing you claim the rest of us are doing, speculating. One might wonder if you are just protecting Coz?

Betsy and Bob, please post a link, phone number, address, or publication information on the OFFICIAL REPORTS. You claim they exist, please tell us the location. Or is it speculation that official reports exist that the general public may both review and discuss?

I look forward to your reply as I think having the official reports made available to this board willl be of great help to the scuba community on this board. Betsy and Bob, I want to thank you for making diving safer by providing the information on the "official reports". It is great that you are going to stop all the specing going on here and provide us with some "official reports".

:popcorn:

For those among you who wish to beat the "off a cruise ship" [dead horse] point further ...

I dive a cruise ship all the time but rarely use the operators offered by the cruise ship . I could use what they offer - it would make no difference except in the $s left in my pocket. Will let you guess my experience and level of training because most of your comments are laden with unsubstantiated assumption. You can add comments about me to the pile and then take the value of your opinions and $1 and still buy yourself a cup of coffee at McDs. Congrats on your magnificent accomplishment !

Why not just wish the family of the lost diver the best , say a prayer, etc. ?

Bob,

I have been criticizing the speculation on this thread as well since the beginning.

If you or Betsy have information, please post it. So far all both of you have done is tell everyone they are wrong... but that does not really accomplish much.

I have posted what I could find based on the news, and no more. That is not much.

I agree the rest is speculation, but it will continue.

Official report? One thing I have NEVER seen out of Coz is a *official report* on a diving accident. Heck, we can't even find much in the local papers......

Personally, I don't think there is much to be learned from this. A diver or diveOP screwed up, and someone died....

Bo, Betsy, Official reports of dive accidents rarely if ever are made public. Diving agencies make sure they are kept quiet so diving maintains a fairly clean safety record.

I find the newspaper frequently mislead, misreport, and something careless in reporting. It is better having hearsay, and undocumented second hand information than waiting for an official report. Autopsy report are protected by HIPPA law in the US, and I am not sure if the hospital/coroner is even allowed to release it to the news media.

In the past, I've requested it from coroners, and they've discussed things with me knowing I was involved in a case. But now, you can't get them to say a word without a written consent from the next of kin.

In the same way, I think law enforcement are regulated by similar privacy laws.... and the dive op is probably under advisement from their attorney not to talk to anyone but them. So, we will just have to rely on inaccurate hearsay to discuss about how to prevent such an accident.

That reminds me, should I pack my pony tank and suffer the harassement of US/mexican custom this weekend, or should I just risk it and dive without a pony?

I am confused. Someone posts something they heard from one of the boat captains on the island. We discussed the implications of those statements with language like "if true" "if that's right" etc. The captains all know one another and communicate constantly by radio during the day. They reasonably should know.

Then I see others say the information is 90% false (which clearly implies they know the truth) and criticize those who are discussing it. Fine. If you know the truth, speak it. Otherwise, you don't know and shouldn't imply otherwise. As far as waiting for official information...when has anyone, in recorded history, waited for official information before discussing a subject of interest? If you simply get so upset that you want to tear your hair out whenever people are speculating and discussing events without having all of the facts, then no offense, but you must lead either a frustrating or very sheltered life, or have no hair.

Let's be real here. A lot of people dive Cozumel. A lot of people dive the devil's throat. Those of us for whom that is true are interested in the details, including the location and the dive op. That's how it is, everywhere, always. Add to that the fact that given the opportunity, those who investigate this would be just as happy to have the whole incident go away and not scare the tourists, and you will have discussions. I would want to know what happened and who the dive op was so I could decide if I want to use that op next time.

This is a public forum and unless someone learned facts through some confidential relationship, there is no privacy issue. For all we know, this poor woman had a heart attack, but also for all we know there may have been gross negligence on her part or the part of someone else. Putting aside all the cruise ship diver and Asian diver stuff, I see nothing wrong with people seeking information and discussing what they hear. More importantly, it is human nature and it isn't going to change.

As many politicians have learned, if an event is of interest and those with the facts sit on those facts or delay their release, or conceal them, it won't stop discussion, it will just make the discussion focus on rumor, suspicion and innuendo, which may well be worse than the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom