Cozumel Diving from a Cruise Ship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there, I'll be visiting Cozumel on a cruise ship for just one day :( in March with family. Which dive op would be recommended that would pick up and drop off at the cruise ship pier, have well-maintained, fully equipped boats, and also go to very healthy, colourful sites with plenty of life?

I spent a week in 2003 as well as 2004 with a LDS group trip, diving with mostly Aqua Safari and a couple of extra dives with Dive Paradise, but haven't been back. They both seemed to be good ops, and I thoroughly enjoyed my dives, but not sure from a one-day cruise logistics perspective.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion, thanks! :)

That depends on which cruise you are on. Dive with Martin is at the end of the International pier and is a 1 block walk from Puerto Maya. We cruised on Carnival and docked at Maya and walked to DWM in about 10 minutes or less. All dive ops will work with you to accommodate your needs. The problem with cruise ships is most morning dives leave at 8:00 am. Most ships come in on their schedule, then it takes at least 45 minutes to get off the boat.

what we did was email the operator of your choice...start with 4 or 5 and let them know your schedule, your experience level, how many divers, any special needs ( I need BIG tanks) and anything in particular you want to do. my wife and daughters were with me so we had 4 divers, it was only $40 more to charter our own boat. We walked to DWM, out boat was waiting, and we were off to the site within 10 minutes of getting there. Dive was great, limited the depth to 60 feet because of my 14 year old diver, but we were on the bottom and saw lots of fish, coral, turtles, eels, etc.

you can't swing a dead cat in Cozumel and not hit a dive operator. Everyone has their favorite, and there are very very few wrong answers. dive With Martin has been around forever, and depending on which port you come into, may be the closest. I have dove with Blue Magic and loved them. They have the best sleep and dive rates...but that doesn't matter if you are cruising. blue XTSea is run by a member of this forum and I believe their website has a special link for cruise ship divers. Christy frequently contributes and is a great source on Coz information. I have never dove with them, but they deserve a look. Aldora, Blue Angel, Tres Pelicanos, and probably 100 others are great operators that will work for your business. I would not worry about being picked up at the pier, cabs are cheap, safe, and always available to get you where you need to go.

the biggest issue your going to have is scheduling, so start emailing dive ops now. Also check out the operator the cruiselines uses very well. Trip Advisor probably has lots of reviews. That convinced me not to go with the cruise line operator. Crappy equipment, uncaring staff, and poorly run operation were current complaints.

The threat of being left if your late if you don't use the cruise operator is overblown. Your going on a 2 tank dive with 90% of the site within 30 minutes of the pier. We saved a little money and had our own boat by finding our own operator and made it back from diving with more than enough time to take our gear back to the room, shop, have a few beverages, eat, and be back on board in time to watch the "drunk pier crawl" of hammer drunk cruisers trying to get back to the boat. (One of the best parts of cruising)

email the op of your choice now, pick the one that works for you, pack your anti fog, and have fun!!

safe travels
jay

Blue Angel has a boat that is dedicated to cruise shippers and mainlanders.

Second vote for Dive with Martin as well.

Knowing your cruise ship name and arrival date may be a factor in who you choose.

Note that there are dive ops who stop at a beach club between dives which also gives you beach time. Aldora, Blue XTSea and others.

Thanks for the info. I will be arriving on the Norwegian Epic on Friday March 20th at 10 AM and departing at 6 PM. Short port time unfortunately.

I'm not sure which dive op the ship uses, but it doesn't even have separate dives for advanced divers, so I suspect the dives will be pretty basic. I normally don't dive with cruise ship ops. I prefer to find out who is recommended and known for choosing very healthy, colourful sites with abundant marine life.

Based on the cruise line, which op(s) do you suggest? Thanks! :)

Is it just you diving, or will you have enough to charter a private panga?

According to this website you will go to Punta Langosta which is basically downtown

CruisePortInsider.com - Cozumel Cruise Ship Schedule - 2015

That is walking distance to Aldora which is a great dive op, Aqua Safari, Dive Paradise and 10-15 minutes taxi ride from Dive with Martin.

Your port time is less than desirable but probably still workable. As suggested, email the dive ops suggested and see if they can accommodate you. If your planned pier is Punta Langosta as my source suggests (but can change), a close by dive op would save some time. The first three I mentioned are about a five minute walk.

If you have multiple divers it helps. My belief is that if Aldora says they will take you out with one person...they will do it. Perhaps Dave will see this and confirm that. If I mention that you never see anything in swim throughs....click my heels three times...he will reply.

Note that I am not saying that Aldora or any dive op will go out with one person. Just ask and let them worry about whether they fill the boat or not.

Be sure to mention ship, docking pier and time in port when you talk to dive ops along with relevant info about your experience and dive site preferences.

Perfect, thanks for your help! It's just me diving. Time is important, not only because of the short port time, but also so that I can re-join my non-diving husband and family.

I have over 340 dives, mostly in very cold, deep, low viz water, but also warm, clear water in a variety of locations and types of dives. I have Master Scuba Diver.

Perfect, thanks for your help! It's just me diving. Time is important, not only because of the short port time, but also so that I can re-join my non-diving husband and family.

I have over 340 dives, mostly in very cold, deep, low viz water, but also warm, clear water in a variety of locations and types of dives. I have Master Scuba Diver.

I would vote Aldora. They're an amazing dive op that's close to the pier, and they also have special departure times specifically for the cruise ships. They were willing to take us pretty much wherever we wanted to go, even the southern most sites (Punta Sur and Maracaibo). Their boats are small, but powerful, which means smaller dive groups on boats that get you there faster. They also use steel 120s so you get your monies worth on bottom time.

They also have not paid me for this endorsement, but I'll be back in March so if they wanted to I wouldn't object.
icon_biggrin.gif

They also have not paid me for this endorsement, but I'll be back in March so if they wanted to I wouldn't object.
icon_biggrin.gif

I am glad that they continue to let me dive with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom