Cozumel Diving Possible from Tulum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm planning a trip to Tulum in Oct/Nov and would like to do a variety of dives including cenotes and ocean dives in Tulum and Cozumel. I'd prefer to stay put in Tulum and utilize one dive shop for all dives, as opposed to relocating to Cozumel and diving from there

Can you recommend any dive shops in Tulum that would be able to accommodate dives in Cozumel and Tulum as well as cenotes?

Thank you!
Elizabeth

The logistics of diving Coz as a day trip from Tulum will be aggravating. It's about an hour's drive from Tulum to Playa, where you catch the ferry, and then a half hour across the strait. I don't remember what time the ferries start running, but you have to catch one of the first ones to get to Coz early enough for most of the dive operators, who like to go out in the morning when the winds are less. And then you have the whole schlep in reverse to come back.

If I were you, I'd dive the Tulum reefs and the cenotes, and save Coz for another trip when you can stay on the island. In addition, there are great things to do besides dive (as strange as that concept seems), with visiting the ruins in Tulum or Coba, or touring the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.

Both good replies above already, but let me ask: How long are you going to be there? It'd also help if you completed your profile with location and experience level.

Staying in PDC and diving Coz is not so bad, but insisting on staying in Tulum just adds more to a day trip. I've done ferry & dive split trips but would prefer changing hotels and departure airports, generally.

Protec in Playa booked a boat for us in Coz. It was a small boat 4 divers one DM and we had it to ourselves on our schedule. No rush, no fuss. We did two great dives and came back to Paya for a later supper. Since then Protec has opened in Tulum as well. I suggest you contact Protec Tulum and see what they can do for you. I have been using protec for about 10 years now. Great outfit.

Back
Top Bottom