Cozumel in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have generally been in Cozumel, in late April and early May each year. We are thinking of going down in January this year but am wondering about weather, particularly the “Norte” issue in January. Are we likely to experience these events (Norte) during January?

TIA

Mark

I was there in January of this year, my observations:

1) Water temperature in the mid to high 70's
2) Dealt with a couple of "nortes", higher winds and choppy boat rides
3) After dive I wish I had my dive coat
6) Great dives
5) Light jacket for evening.
6) typical currents

All of the above were not bad, will probably head back late Jan early Feb

According to Christy's pinned post about historical port closures due to nortes, there were 5 in Jan of 2018. However, that is an outlier compared to previous years. So I suppose you are increasing your chances of a closure due to a norte by going in January, but risk doesn't appear super high. Travel Insurance may be a good idea.

I have generally been in Cozumel, in late April and early May each year. We are thinking of going down in January this year but am wondering about weather, particularly the “Norte” issue in January. Are we likely to experience these events (Norte) during January?

TIA

Mark
You are, of course, more likely to experience a Cozumel norte in January than at any other time of the year except maybe February, but on the average, most days are diveable. The key, I believe is to stay longer, as nortes are usually pretty short lived.

Been there in Dec-Jan, we (they) had 1 day and half of no-dive due to the Norte, luckily it was on my rest day at the end of my holiday (Jan 5th).
Overall, it has been awesome: great weather, warm water, fresh wind in the evening, fantastic.

I wouldn't worry about an El Norte. They're not all that common, even in January or February. And you can always go over to the mainland for some cenote diving, or go dive on the windward side of the island.
The only drawback I can see to a January trip, really, is that it's not quite as warm, so you might be spending less time working on your tan.
But hey, that just decreases your chances of skin cancer, right?

We dove Coz this past Jan, and got "Norte'd". Port was closed for the week. We took the ferry daily across to PdC and dove Puerto Aventuras. Cenotes also an option. Plan B diving, but still fun and enjoyed the hospitality and excellent cheap restaurants on Coz. I would defintitely do it again.

Been to Cozumel twice during January (2009 & 2011). Both times we lost days of diving to Norte's. Lost dive days were the main reason I now go in mid to late March or early April.

Divegoose

The key, I believe is to stay longer

Like..., until April or June? Some folks need to use their vacation time judiciously. It would really bum me out to lose more than a day of diving if I am by myself or with diving buds. If I am with my travel buddy (a.k.a. my non-diving wife), then I wouldn't mind losing a day or two. But, she wouldn't do well on a ferry crossing in rough seas, either.

Like..., until April or June? Some folks need to use their vacation time judiciously. It would really bum me out to lose more than a day of diving if I am by myself or with diving buds. If I am with my travel buddy (a.k.a. my non-diving wife), then I wouldn't mind losing a day or two. But, she wouldn't do well on a ferry crossing in rough seas, either.
Well, no, of course not. I meant that since most (not all, yes, I know) nortes only last a day or two, if you are there for a week you most likely will be able to dive at least some of the time you are there. If you are only there for a weekend there's a chance you could be landlocked your whole trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom