Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that is one of the definitions of sexism, so yeah... but I guess if you were raised to be sexist, or racist, or prejudiced, then that's okay

For those who require it - (DISCLAIMER -- No where in the above written word does Mike condone deep diving on air. The above is simply a discussion of the realities of scuba diving and the world we live in. A discussion of the history of scuba, the techniques of other divers does not equal an appreciation of those techniques and is simply...hang on... wait for it....A DISCUSSION)

For the record, I wasn't referring to you specifically ... there have been entries in this discussion from people who seemed to feel that these folks were justified in this dive plan because that's what dive professionals in Cozumel do.

That's not an acceptable rationalization ... as evidenced by the outcome of this dive.

Experience doesn't change the laws of physics ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I haven't rationalized anything. Replys were in response to trying to help somebody understand their disbelief in how someone would do what they did. Explanations of someones behavior does not equal rationalization. It's simply an attempt to understand why, it doesn't condone anything. No where have I once said deep diving on air is a good idea.

I suspect you're a bit naive...

I'm more than a little suspect you're naive...

Oh boy, without a doubt you're naive, and sooner or later you're going to be in for a big surprise.

For those who require it - (DISCLAIMER -- No where in the above written word does Mike condone deep diving on air. The above is simply a discussion of the realities of scuba diving and the world we live in. A discussion of the history of scuba, the techniques of other divers does not equal an appreciation of those techniques and is simply...hang on... wait for it....A DISCUSSION)

LOL! Yes, Im very naive. Been running tech trips and teaching for 6 years in the deep ocean. I doubt anyone in the USA is teaching as many OC trimix classes as me at the moment. However, I havent got a clue what Im talking about. And Im totally out of touch with the Caribbean dive industry. Poor me.

Seriously though for a minute, nobody is trying to get at you or claim that you are trying to sway us in favor of what these guys were doing. Were just saying that you seem to be trying to talk through what they did and somehow explain it. Were just saying that theres no point because its so far beyond ridiculous that the VAST MAJORITY of dive professionals dont do this stuff. They did and they paid for it. Real shame.

BTW, in hindsight my comment about your comments being misconstrued by others was a bit OTT. For that I apologize.

The dive shop web site lists him as a divemaster

I know someone who has done 1000s of dives and holds no official certification - and I know "dive masters" who can barely function ... certification level is not a true indication of training level or experience

This thread has been heavily critical of posting without facts. You and others keep referring to these people as professionals or as DM'S.....there has been NO proof of what any of their ACTUAL qualifications are. Most of the "dive guides" in Cozumel are called "divemasters", so what, that does not mean they hold any official certification for that title. Posting in this thread when talking about any of these 3 divers and using the word "professionals" in the same sentence is bad enough but to add to it people are doing it without even knowing for a FACT what each person's level of certification is. If I were a customer of that dive shop and found out that they claimed on the website he is a divemaster when in fact he isn't I would call that lying period.

These people were paid to take divers out into the waters of Cozumel on recreational/advanced dives. Irrespective of certification, they were professionals and should be able to display better judgement than they did here IMO.

This thread has been heavily critical of posting without facts. You and others keep referring to these people as professionals or as DM'S.....there has been NO proof of what any of their ACTUAL qualifications are. Most of the "dive guides" in Cozumel are called "divemasters", so what, that does not mean they hold any official certification for that title. Posting in this thread when talking about any of these 3 divers and using the word "professionals" in the same sentence is bad enough but to add to it people are doing it without even knowing for a FACT what each person's level of certification is. If I were a customer of that dive shop and found out that they claimed on the website he is a divemaster when in fact he isn't I would call that lying period.

so now that the thread has degenerated into penis comparisons of deep dives, which is awesome for illuminating the true fools on this board wouldn't it be a good idea to have an update on the three divers?
Is gabi paralyzed from the neck down, will opal ever walk?
This is a great thread to have newbies read so they understand NOT to listen to "old salts" who claim they know better.

These people were paid to take divers out into the waters of Cozumel on recreational/advanced dives. Irrespective of certification, they were professionals and should be able to display better judgement than they did here IMO.

It appears from the website that they use Padi as an affiliation for training and certifying divers so I assume the owner/owners are qualified to do so. You would think any owners would uphold the professional standards of any group they are affiliated with but we all know how that has worked out here and elsewhere. You are right about this incident, there was nothing professional about it.

Well ... for the record ... a working dive guide in a place like Cozumel will likely have far greater skill and comprehension about diving than some 60-dive "expert" walking around with a DM card in their pocket.

I don't think we should obfuscate the issue with a discussion about certifications ... I've met way too many DM's who barely have any diving under their belt at all except what they did in the classes they took to get the DM card ... and I would hardly hold those folks up as a standard by which a "professional" should be measured ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't think we should obfuscate the issue with a discussion about certifications ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No you are right by all means let's refer to 2 of the divers in this thread as divemasters when nobody has posted any facts to back that up. Posters have been arguing for 83 pages about the details of this incident and I have asked since the very beginning what exactly their certifications were in order to properly discuss and or criticize the incident or those involved. I don't care what you or any other poster calls divers in Cozumel, for the purposes of this discussion I think it is very relevant to know EXACTLY what their level of expertise was at the time.

No you are right by all means let's refer to 2 of the divers in this thread as divemasters when nobody has posted any facts to back that up. Posters have been arguing for 83 pages about the details of this incident and I have asked since the very beginning what exactly their certifications were in order to properly discuss and or criticize the incident or those involved. I don't care what you or any other poster calls divers in Cozumel, for the purposes of this discussion I think it is very relevant to know EXACTLY what their level of expertise was at the time.
If, in fact, these folks are PADI professionals I would think it would be easy enough to verify ... and if they've been running a PADI business in Cozumel for any length of time at all, I would think that if their credentials were not valid, PADI or their competitors would've made that known by now.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom