Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Don't call people divemasters who aren't divemasters
2) Using the word "professional" when referring to any of these divers about this incident is a mistake. It appears one of them had a professional affiliation as an owner but most certainly did not act like it in this incident.
3)IMO after 84 pages we still don't know the exact level of expertise of the 3. I think it is valid to the discussion.....I guess you don't agree.

1) "Divemaster is a role, not a PADI trademark. There are many agencies that have a "divemaster" certification.
2) "Professional" is irrelevant. This was a group of friends diving, not a paid service.
3) Also irrelevant. There is no agency in the world that endorses a 300'+ dive on a single tank. Additionally this was not a training dive, so no agency would care what they did. Their level of "expertise" is also irrelevant, since there is no level of training or skills that would make this a safe dive.

This was just a really bad outcome from a really dangerous dive and has nothing to do with any agency or shop or boat.

I think the dive was a monumentally bad idea, however it has absolutely nothing to do with anything except the participants. I know people who have done similar things in cold freshwater. Some had the crap scared out of them, some were injured and at least one died.

flots.

Last edited:
There's more criteria then just a Padi cert 5 star or not.

Do you carry oxygen?
Do you have VHF radio on board and not relying on cell phones
Does you boat have 2 out boards, not just one?
Are you dives timed or can we dive our computer?

These are the minimums I want answers to.

If folks took that attitude around here, they'd miss out on some of the best available shops ... since those shops tend to be NAUI, SSI or SDI/TDI affilliates. For sure there are some good PADI shops ... but there are also some really bad ones.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
For many years I have not shown my PADI cards to any dive shops when requested.
Actually I left them at home.

For many years I have not shown my PADI cards to any dive shops when requested.
Actually I left them at home.
I was refused service once, in Maui, because I could not produce a PADI card ... they did not like the YMCA or NAUI cards I did have with me at the time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

since this has turned into a PADI bashing thread, I'll point out that the dive was not DIR

since this has turned into a PADI bashing thread, I'll point out that the dive was not DIR

It is funny how that happened considering this dive has not a thing to do with any agency. The fact that these people were paid professionals in their real life has no impact on this dive as well (unless they use this kind of piss poor judgment with their paying customers which I have seen enough said about them to believe they do NOT). This is about 3 experienced divers doing a really stupid thing on purpose. They tempted fate and therefore deserved to get bit. It sucks but they knew exactly what they were signing up for. I hope all three of them nothing but full recoveries and really hope that the diver operation does not suffer from this accident. I am sure that WSAPFO would love to see them go under but I hope they continue to succeed.

I'm new to ScubaBoard, but not a newbie diver. I think I stumbled up on this because a friend on FB posted about the accident.

This is not to bash Opal, Gabi or Heath, but what in heaven's name possessed them to do anything so stupid?! I own my own equipment and know it inside and out, yet have enough respect for the water and all natural phenomena to stay extra vigilant in all that I do when I dive. I hope I never get so comfortable diving that I risk my own life and perhaps the lives of those diving with me for a thrill or trying to test the upper limits of my skill.

This is a cautionary tale for ALL of us: know your limits and don't get complacent. You or those with you could be hurt or worse. Yes, you can call me conservative. But I won't risk death or injury for a thrill.

I am sorry this happened to them. Am I surprised? No. Does a small, tiny part of me think that they deserved it? I'm sorry to say, but yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom