• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cozumel makes "No" List for 2020

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by WetInPortland, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I do not believe that divers are responsible for the White Blight. I have been diving Cozumel for more than 25 years and there have always been lots of divers on the reefs, but this is a very recent development. May before last it wasn't there and last May it was everywhere.

eleniel, Kmart921, Stoo and 5 others like this.
  2. KapitanSparrow

KapitanSparrow Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    It seems like the ban on diving was more of a publicity stunt than anything else. If they really wanted to address the issue they would look at limiting cruise ships and resorts. I am pretty sure divers are more environmentally conscious than snorkeling and party boat crowds.

eleniel, doogisar, Saboteur and 3 others like this.
  3. Dave Dillehay

Dave Dillehay Dive Shop

Really now…if you lost all of the brain corals, and fire coral (good riddance) Would that ruin Cozumel diving? Get a grip y'all. Nature will survive—just keep the Lion Fish under control, as we have.

Dave Dillehay
    Aldora Divers

4. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I just spoke to a couple that returned from two weeks in Cozumel. They will not be back soon.
    Yeah Dave. Who needs all that coral anyway? Stuff is way overrated.

5. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Brain and fire coral isn't all that is there, and there's nothing we, as divers, can do about what is happening to them. We aren't the cause of it and we won't be the cure. I plan to keep going to Cozumel and enjoy it while I'm still here and it's still there.

6. catskill diver

catskill diver Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Just back from Coz yesterday
    20 dives in 2 weeks, still some of the best drifts and reefs in the Caribbean.

countless turtles including helping with the conservation on some of the last nests of the season
    Tons of life. Rays, Sharks, octopus, flying Gunards, and many more of the usual suspects.

In comparison to others in the reign, VERY little trash and hardly any lion fish.
    A few too many divers for my liking with the southern closures. A few locals I spoke to said the reef resting is more about development going on in the southern area than anything else.

If that’s true it would truly suck.

Kmart921 likes this.
  7. Brules

Brules Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Funny how white plague started in FL which is Pod People Ship central.........and is now in Cozumel, which is packed full of the damn things..........vomiting people and their waste.

And yet people want to blame the divers.

Cruise ships would be where I looked first. It wouldnt be the first thing spread by ships..........but we all know nothing will happen with the cruise ships. Ever. They grease way to many pockets for anything to ever go against them in Cozumel. :(

Secondly I would look at local waste disposal/wells and run off. This is a bacteria killing corals, which is caused by other bacteria. Look for the biggest sources of it and start there!

8. Lewis88

Lewis88 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    This is probably one of the worst takes I've ever heard, and from a dive shop employee. smh.

Ontwreckdiver and ScubaWithTurk like this.
  9. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Fixed for you.

The truth is that most divers cannot tell the difference between Favia, Trachyphillia or Pseudodiploria. Heck, I doubt that many could even ID Millepora accurately.

10. Doctor Rig

Doctor Rig Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    @catskill diver What Coz area/sites did you dive?