Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most enjoyable diving I've ever done was in Grand Cayman. The timeshare we stayed in was on the East coast. I've dived at Eden Rock, shore diving close to where the cruise ships dock. Not as good as the east or north, but plenty of marine life.

Most of what I've read here, for the last five years, says make your own plans and not book through the cruise ship. Best of luck with your decision, and please post the results when you get back.

Taxi's are about the only way to get around on Cozumel (unless you rent a car). The cost from the Cruise Ship Dock to town should be $5 and you are pretty safe on Coz.

As far as diving Coz or GC, they are pretty much the same. In Coz the diving is "drift" diving where you exit the boat and drift along with the current until the end of the dive (usually very little swimming). On GC they anchor the boat and you decend down the anchor line and follow the Dive Master (little or no current) around and back to the anchor line to the surface.

Don't know if you will se this before you leave; my best friend just got back from a Carnival cruse; did the diving in Grand Cayman w/ Fosters

While he had nothing but praise for the op, the site in the West Bay (thats where you are likely to go if you book w/ the cruse line) was limited to 80' and you could not "go over the wall" Also said the coral was in poor shape

So.....my vote is Cozumel

Yeah. I think I will do cozumel. I am thinking of "Diving with Cristina". According to her website, you would have to take a taxi to get there, but apparently its not a long ride. I am a little nervous about doing that, since I never have in the past. Anyone else had any trouble with taking taxi's in places like that?

When you get off the ship there will be about 20 taxis waiting in line to serve you.
They are cheap and its not far. Be sure and contact Cristina imediately if your interseted in diving with her. She specializes in small groups (avg 4) and may not go out every day. If she doesn't have enough customers for a trip you can always go to one of the larger outfits for backup.

Yeah. I think I will do cozumel. I am thinking of "Diving with Cristina". According to her website, you would have to take a taxi to get there, but apparently its not a long ride. I am a little nervous about doing that, since I never have in the past. Anyone else had any trouble with taking taxi's in places like that?

Coz is as safe as they get. No worries. You shouldn't have any problems. Make sure you pay the "zoned" price for the trip. Depending on who you choose to dive with you may even be able to walk or they may even pick you up.

Don't know if you will get this in time but try Dive Paradise(Hotel Cozumel). They are not far from the cruiseship dock and I think will pick you up but you'll have to check. My first SW dive was with them. They are safe and very helpful. My LDS has used them for +20 years. I felt perfectly safe with them.

Looks like I'm on my own in the opinion that Grand Cayman has way better diving than Cozumel. I've done both, and Grand Cayman was my favourite, hands down. Not even a competition! :D

I agree with you, I thought GC was much better. Both can be excellent, but I think a big part of it is if the operator takes you to a good site. A private operator might be able to get you to a better site than a large cruise ship excursion.

Also, I found the rental gear in GC to be much better than Coz. Be very careful to check your rental gear. The gear in Mexico was in much worse condition overall. I ended up with a BC that had an air leak in Cozumel.

I've been to both places in the last 8 months. 14 dives in Grand Cayman East End (May), and 14 dives in Coz (December). I would say dive Cozumel. More fish and turtles to see. Don't get me wrong, Grand Cayman East end was amazing. But Cozumel would be cheaper and easier in my opinion. Also if you are on a cruise you're not going to be able to dive the East End of Cayman and from what I've heard is the best (sorry if I'm wrong). Now on the other hand, If you are a less experienced diver you may want to do the Stingray city dive in Cayman. Its a blast and it's only about 12' deep. Drift diving in Cozumel is great.

Grand Cayman: Amazing walls, amazing coral formations, Everything is pricey including diving!

Cozumel: Drift Diving, Amazing coral formations (huge), Fish everywhere, Turtles, Huge Angelfish, Great Food!!!!

If you want any info, feel free to PM me. And just a note, I planning on heading back to Cozumel this year for another amazing diving trip!

Grand Cayman can be better, but if you book on the ship the op is (highly) unlikely to take you to the north wall or the east end where the diving is excellent -

If I had the time in port, I'd book on my own w/ an op that caters to experienced divers vs what you mostly find on cruse ships.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom